cabin plans

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by wetumpkamike, Nov 21, 2004.

1. wetumpkamike

wetumpkamike New Member

does anyone know where i can get cabin plans for a 16 x 24 basic structure? i know what i am building but do it all in my head. i have gotten away with this but my next place i have to submit plans for the permit. i am trying to avoid spending hours drawing them up myself. thanks

2. LizMovingNorth

LizMovingNorth Member

You might want to try this place: http://www.countryplans.com
    Yes, they'll cost you a hundred bucks or so, but they have a board to ask questions and the guy who made the plans is on there all the time answering questions.
    Liz

(Caveat: I've not yet built anything using the plans...so I think they look good, people on the board seem to be able to build using them, but I can't guarantee anything.)

3. jhambley

jhambley Well-Known Member

4. Hurricane Kurt

Hurricane Kurt Well-Known Member

5. BackwoodsIdaho

BackwoodsIdaho Well-Known Member

I designed my own 20x24 cabin with loft & bathroom. Also added a 14x30 two bedroom addition and plan to add a 14x30 master bedroom suite. All was done using Chief Architect's ART software. Retails for about $99 and gives you floor planning, drafting, material takeoffs, furniture placement etc. Pretty good place to start. Then if you need more detailed plans for a permit or a contractor, you can take your concept to a draftsman and give him a place to start from. You would have to do that with bought plans anyway since they rarely meet the local building officials full requirements.

We don't have permits here so I built from my own plans.

just a thought ...

jim

here is the cabin taken from the river shore looking up

[​IMG]

6. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Jim,

Perhaps you could post some pics of your house (the interior etc.) on your blog or website? I would love to see it.

7. BackwoodsIdaho

I will post a few later this AM. If anyone wants the plans themselves in PDF format, they are available for the asking. Just pm me...

jim

8. carole in ky

carole in ky Member

Check out sheldondesigns.com I like their plans and they also have a supply list option.

9. BackwoodsIdaho

Posted a pic of the homestead minus the barn in my earlier post. This is a home brew design with Chief Architect software

10. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i like sheldon's too.

11. wetumpkamike

wetumpkamike New Member

i like your cabin. my problem is i am 1600 miles from where i am building. i just finished building a 16x24 A frame in florida (never again-to many angles) and want to start on this project next. i would like to thank everyone for their input and i really like the pictures of cabins- i guess i will eventually have to learn that computer trick. if anyone out there is famalier with seadrift, texas i could use some info on concrete block suppliers, lumberyards, etc. thanks again to everyone.