cabin fever, marlene s...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by marvella, Nov 19, 2005.

1. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i think we should talk about this. again.

cabin- really, dude, give us a break. if marlene has to move her thread to GC, most of the people on this board will never see it. i tried to post and found it locked. :eek: i mean, how many times have we all talked on here about the pros and cons of walmart?? so many, i'm tired of them and don't even bother opening them most of the time.

if you take a look at the front page of HQ, at least half of the topics are NOT strictly homestead topics.

you yourself have posted jokes on there, about changing the oil in your car. you remember, the one that fell flat?? that should probably have gone under the shop forum, but no one made YOU move it.

i think you are being totally unfair and biased in your decisions about what is appropriate for HQ. you've even moved stuff that was OK for CF, but you think it's not OK for HQ. go figure. :bash:

marlene- don't take this personally, okay? he's been doing this a lot lately.

2. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

Hey Cabin,
    I'm with you on this one. The Wal Mart thing would be a great topic for GC. I do however think Marvella has a very good point in that many never look at GC and the question would get a better response here. Wish we could "advertise" the topics on GC in the Homesteading section to get more readers opinions ....

3. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I am still trying to figure out why Wallyworld does not have anything to do with homesteading? Does not everything and everyplace we homesteaders do and go have to do with our homesteading life?

4. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I think the boycott issue belongs on General Chat.
    Just my two pesos.
    :D

5. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

I would like to boycott the people who call Wal-mart ..Wally world.
    Thanks
    Wally :rolleyes:

6. marvella

but why?? there wasn't any controversy or argument. all she was asking for was input on what a group of people might be able to do to.

on this topic in the past, most people stayed pretty civil. there are enough long term posters around that anytime something gets out of hand it doesn't last long before one of the mods is notified and they step in as needed. been a good while since this place imploded, :goodjob: and i think that's the reason why.

to me, it looks like micro-management, trying to prevent a problem before it happens. but it also kills a lot of good topics that could be of interest to a far wider audience than what is found in GC.

7. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Why would the discusion of something that is a major economic and purchasing power as walmart not be a topic of discusion in this forum??? If you are looking for a product that walmart does not have, where will you buy it? They are a major player in the retail world and the decisions they make have impact on us all :shrug: If all the small stores are gone we will be forced to make our own or be satisfied with the items they think we should have ,that are profitable to them on a large scale.

8. marvella

i was interested because i boycotted them for 1 1/2 years. i started back when i moved, and needed stuff like curtains rods that i didn't have time to hunt for in other places. i still avoid it as much as possible, and make do with dollar stores and the local cvs, as well as go to locally owned hardware stores downtown. of course, they may not be there much longer, as a lowe's is opening after the first of the year. :bash:

cabin fever- don't you have anything to say about this?

9. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

First and foremost - Thanks marvella for your support.

I guess I'll have to private message Cabin Fever? How can I move a locked thread? I'll be very disappointed if a man I've come to admire and respect for his homesteading wisdom was just making a power point. After all if he can lock a thread can't he also move one??

I think I'll give CabinFever time to move the thread for me before I take the time to retype it in General Chat - to give him the opportunity to prove me wrong that it's more about personal ideals then it is about moderating a forum.

Hugs,
    Marlene

10. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, I vote for the idea that WalMart is an appropriate topic for homesteading
    forums. What WalMart does so do all the rest. When they refuse to pay their
    employees a living wage and engage in union-busting tactics (which, btw, was
    straight out of the original Sam Walton playbook) it effects all the businesses
    trying to compeat with them. Everyone has to adopt the same policies or go
    under, which makes finding a job out in the country that pays anything very
    hard.
    OTOH, I can see how critiqueing(?) WalMart would quickly turn into a overarching critique of the entire economic/political system in which we live
    which *may be* more appropriate to GC. For instance, I am currently looking
    for a full-time job and it is very difficult to find one that pays anything, if any
    at all! Seems like everyone just wants to hire part-time help so they don't have to pay any benefits...don't know who started this trend but I do know
    who perfected it!!
    James

11. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

pcdreams shared a website with me that answers my questions -- so if the powers that be think it best you can drop this thread from this forum.

thanks pcdreams

Marlene

12. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

It's been a bit confusing as the site has been adding more and more specialized areas.

There are very few topics left that couldn't "cross over" to other areas.

Makes me miss the old board, sometimes. I can see keeping specialized topics for the archives, but it was more fun to just browse the threads before.
    I know I miss a lot of interesting reading because I don't have goats right now, for instance.

13. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

New people dont even see General Chat as far as I know. How do you let new people know there IS a general chat for them to go to?

14. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

All anyone has to do is log in to see GC.

15. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

no problem. Hope I Get to see it soon :)

16. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Since I am guilty, I will change to China Mart. If people can follow me...

17. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

General Chat is not such a terribly bad place. I think people just need to train themselves to look there on occasion. The thing I like about it...even if I manage to say something stupid...wait 2 more replies and they have forgotten all about it because someone else has by then said something far more radical then anything I would have ever dreamed of typing. Try it, you might like it. Deb

18. pyper7

pyper7 pyper7

so that's what wally world means :shrug:

19. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

Let this serve as a reminder - this forum is strictly for homesteading topics. If Cabin decides it's not one - he's been here a long time and should know - then it's not one, and it gets locked. If you disagree, feel free to bring it to my attention, but chances are I'll agree with Cabin.

20. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

There seems to be a general supposition that CF is guilty of whatever. He's not! He generally deletes non-Homesteading threads. Full-stop! End-of-story! You get a terse message saying "not a homesteading subject". This certainly merited that. This time, you got a transfer to another forum, with no message about why (Chuck, could be a good thing to provide).

Mea culpa.