Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:shrug: We have to put in a new septic system and they are going to test our ground by digging holes with a back hole. EEEEEEKK! We may need a mound system or other wise holding tanks. The choices suck either way. Any suggestions which would be better? We have clay under the topsoil, then granite way down.....Thanks..... :shrug:

·
Premium Member
18,415 Posts
If they are evaluating your soil in a backhole pit, you must of hired a GOOD soil professional! Poor soil evaluators would use a hand auger or, worst yet, do a perc test.

In Minnesota and Wisconsin, mounds are standard septic systems nowadays. I'd suggest that you ask the installer to use 4:1 or even 5:1 sideslopes as opposed to the allowed minimum of 3:1. The flatter sideslopes will make mowing easier and the mound will blend into the yard nicer.

Pray that you won't be required to use a holding tank!

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought it was a little excessive but thats what their saying is going to be done. if they even get NEAR my garden space or my flowers Ill scream bloody murder....Right now I'm longing for the ole outhouse....... :help:

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cabin Fever said:
If they are evaluating your soil in a backhole pit, you must of hired a GOOD soil professional! Poor soil evaluators would use a hand auger or, worst yet, do a perc test.

In Minnesota and Wisconsin, mounds are standard septic systems nowadays. I'd suggest that you ask the installer to use 4:1 or even 5:1 sideslopes as opposed to the allowed minimum of 3:1. The flatter sideslopes will make mowing easier and the mound will blend into the yard nicer.

Pray that you won't be required to use a holding tank!
Yah, thats what I thought. Constant pumping at excessive fees for 5 minutes work. Of course it IS smelly stuff.....Thanks for that slope advice, As I am the primary mowee right now and don't care for high hills.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.