Homesteading Forum banner
1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  captain belly 
#1 ·
I've been making deer sausage from scratch for years. I have a lot of friends and family ask me how to get started. I got started a long time ago after buying a sausage making kit.
I thought I'd make a video to help people get started by using a kit. This should give folks an idea on what equipment to obtain, as well as the labor involved. I should have made this
video years ago. I would have just sent the link to people. Hope this helps someone out.

#2 ·
Ahhh.... this plucks my heart-strings.

Fantastic Video!

The month of November I fought COVID, including 9 days in the hospital. One show that I watched on TV during that time was a mix of Moonshine and Smoked Sausage.... a competition, each episode. It would show exactly how the competitors would make their sausage and it was very educational. I was instantly hooked!

A little family background. I married into a family with deep, rich German heritage (wife's grandma came over on a boat, just prior to WW2). They live in the Hill Country of Texas, north of San Antonio. Every year, they "tag out" on Whitetail Deer and they make/smoke upwards of 1,000 lbs of Deer Sausage every year, usually in the month January. After making and smoking for 2 days, they let the sausage hang and cure for 30 days. That sausage is like Crack Cocaine to me.... I can never get enough.

Yahoo..... now I am going to try and make my own, maybe just a few twists. I think I am going to purchase an Elk hind-quarter from a local Elk Ranch, instead of deer. 'Cause COVID, I wasn't able to hunt this year.

Literally sitting in the hospital bed, on my laptop, I placed orders..... Thankfully, most purchases were seriously discounted because of Black Friday. I will be making small batches.... as I don't have a full, blown smoke house like my inlaws.

Got this grinder...... $259

Got this smoker..... $289

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.