Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a recipe for Cabbage Soup, that is tomato based and can be canned? I can't eat beef; so that's out. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
We add cabbage to our favorite vegetable soup, never canned it though. I would think cabbage would get soft and slimy, canned....James

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jwal10 I wondered about that. I'm just trying to add more 'instant meals' to pantry.

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
Do you have cabbages to use up or you just like cabbage? Cabbage cooks so quick that it is done just heating the soup, if shredded. We like it steamed for 5 minutes, still crisp, with a little butter and Mrs. Dash or steamed a little green onion or chives. We also layer leaves in sauerkraut to use for wraps. We use the same ingredients as stuffed peppers or vegetable rolls....James

·
Bunny Poo Monger
3,067 Posts
I've never tried to can this but I believe leftovers can be frozen with no problem. I don't know because it disappears so fast. I use one small to medium cabbage roughly chopped, two 14.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes, juice included, a pound of fresh carrots cut into coins, one 32 oz container of low sodium vegetable broth that has a base of carrots (Pacific brand vegetable broth). I throw in a little dried oregano and parsley. Let it come to a boil and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. The broth is rich and delicious. The carrots are firm but not crunchy.

I make this in a 6 quart pot and the pot has enough room left to stir it without spilling it over the sides. It lasts only two days here. The second day it's even better. It's easy to adapt to other ingredients of your liking, such as type of meat and seasoning.

·
Registered
262 Posts
This is my cabbage soup recipe, and no, the cabbage does not come out slimy.

makes about 12 quarts

6lbs tomatoes, chopped
7 lbs carrots, chopped
1 head cabbage, shredded
2 stalks celery, sliced
2 bell peppers, chopped
3 lbs onions, chopped

Mix all ingredients, add enough water or broth to cover and bring to a boil. Put in hot jars, and add 1/2 tsp salt to each jar (I actually use Lawry's seasoning salt for the salt).

Leave 1 inch head space and can quarts in pressure canner at 10 lbs pressure for 90 minutes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts