Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this here because there are more people viewing right now. I'm looking for a cole slaw or cabbage salad recipe that tastes like old times. Anyone have a good recipe for me? Thanks

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
I make cole slaw with Hellman's mayo, a dash of red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and sugar.

We also like it with red pepper flakes.

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
IDK if this is what you're looking for, but my family loves it.

Chopped green cabbge, chopped red cabbage, one grated summer squash, one grated apple, cheddar cheese and a couple grated carrots all stirred together and served with slaw dressing... yum.

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
I prefer a oil & vinegar dressing - don't like mayo salads.

I use shredded cabbage, then mix oil, red wine or cider vinegar, salt, a little black and red pepper and just a touch of sugar. Mix with cabbage and let chill in fridge for an hour or so..yumm!

My in-law make a Miracle Whip dressing - mix sugar and Whip together (about 1 part sugar to 2 parts Whip) add enough milk to make smooth & runny (you really have to mix), add salt, pepper and celery seed.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its actually the dressing Im looking for. I've tried lots of different things but just cant get the right taste. The mayo, vinegar and sugar are about what I usually use...DH likes it kind of milky.....

·
Registered
731 Posts
Suz,

You could try a pinch of celery seed in the dressing to see it that is the taste you are looking for.

I make my slaw dressing with mayo, sugar, and some cider vinegar. I think it measures around 3/4 cup of mayo and two or three tablesoons each granualted sugar and vinegar. Mix well to dissolve the sugar. The pinch of celery seed is an old-fashioned ingredient that I use sometimes.

The same dressing is great on raw broccoli slaws, too.

Edited to add: You know the dressing will thin down a bit after it has been mixed with the cabbage, as the cabbage will release some of its juices.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
I don't like it with mayo at all - I have to use Miracle Whip. Shredded cabbage and carrots, a little cider vinegar, sugar, salt, cracked pepper. I don't like it too sweet, either. Mix up dressing separately and toss with cabbage/carrots.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I use mayo a TBS or so of lemon juice and a splash of buttermilk..it's a copy-cat of KFC's slaw recipe.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I made it this afternoon with salad dresing, a tad of sugar and a tad of vinegar and then milk and salt and pepper. We,ll see what rating it gets from DH tonite at supper.....Oh and a bit of celery salt as some suggested....Thanks again....

·
Registered
441 Posts
I know this isn't what you are talking about ... but this thread is making me think of my favorite cabbage salad, with ramen noodles, toasted sesame seeds, toasted almonds. It's not helping that I just bought a head of cabbage yesterday. Might have to change my dinner plans. Yum!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts