Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first year to grow cabbage, so this may be a dumb question. How do I know when they are ready to harvest? I have a couple that are still pretty small but the others are getting good sized. Thanks!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Just like Mistletoad said. Squeeze on that head of cabbage and it should feel very firm. It will get tighter than a fiddle string! Enjoy that cabbage :) Take Care.

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
Piggybacking on this thread. It has been years since I have grown cabbage.

Any recommendations on a smallish quick growing, raw eating variety? F1 or OP, no matter.

I would rather buy a pack of seed and grow a few, instead of accepting the greenhouse variety.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,443 Posts
Piggybacking on this thread. It has been years since I have grown cabbage.

Any recommendations on a smallish quick growing, raw eating variety? F1 or OP, no matter.

I would rather buy a pack of seed and grow a few, instead of accepting the greenhouse variety.

Thanks.
I'm trying Stonehead (F1) this year. Smallish, 3-4 lbs, short cored,51 days, per the catalog listing. Tried a small one off the rack last year--and I threw away the pkt, so don't remember the name----but it was too green, too loose, and too soft for crispy cole slaw. Hoping this season will be a winner.

geo

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Jung's Cabbage Babies Triplet Hybrid Blend is one of the best early mixes that I've found. They don't take up much space and only run up to about 1½ pounds. Mix of red, green, and savoy.

Martin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts