cabbage question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by bretthunting, Apr 7, 2006.

1. bretthunting

bretthunting Well-Known Member

last year i planted a few cabbage and they only got about the size of a softball and no larger,is there a secret to growing cabbage large.

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

Like most vegetables that are primarily grown for their leaves cabbage is a heavy feeder. Fertilize well and keep it watered. Lots of space too.

.....Alan.

3. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

There are varieties that are very small. Maybe you grew one of those and didn't realize it? Do you know the name?

4. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

cabbage size can be determined by space allowed for it to grow. I give small types 18 inches in each direction in my raised beds and lots of well worked soil for the root system.

5. countryboy01974

countryboy01974 Well-Known Member

http://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/010137veg.roots/010137ch11.html
    take a look at this .I asked the same question before the site crashed .paquebot sent me this link it has the best info I've found on growing cabbage mostly deals with root development. with that and knowing it is a heavy feeder you should do fine.got a giant cabbage growing myself been doing really good till today had a bad hail storm come through and I was at work beat it up pretty bad hope it makes it

6. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Another factor is sunlight. Brassica family all respond according to number of hours of direct sunlight. If they don't get enough, their efforts go into making taller stems and additional leaves. Varieties also make a difference. Red cabbage varieties are most notorious for making smaller heads if there is not enough sunlight. They seem to require more sun than the green ones.

I should have quite a mixed lot for size with 4 varieties. Early Golden Acre will give me small early slaw heads of 3 or 4 pounds. They'll be followed by Mammoth Red Rock of 7 or 8 pounds. Then Late Flat Dutch of 15 to 20 pounds. Finally, OS Cross with potential of 40 to 100 pounds!

Martin

7. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

I saw an interesting show about the matanuska Valley in Alaska last night where they grow cabbages 80 to 90 pounds. They use only drip irrigation on them so that they don't waste any water or nutrients, by getting them on the leaves. They feed them everyday. For our purposes though, they are a cool season crop. They need to be planted early or late. They don't do well in heat. The same holds true for the other Cole crops as well. Broccolli and the like. Check your PH too. They prefer sweeter soils.

8. prairie

prairie Homesteader

Last year wasn't a good year for cabbage here. All mine were small. Two years ago, however, they were really wonderful and huge! Sometimes it's just the type of year.