Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening.

For the second year, I have planted purple cabbage with high-hopes of having nice full heads of cabbage by now.

Once again this year, I have gorgeous, leafy plants, but no heads on the cabbage.

Can anyone give me direction as to why this happens and what I might be able to try to get them to produce heads?

Thanks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
With a bit more info I might could make some suggestions. When do you plant your seeds? Do you plant in flats with a little shade or do you seed in the final location? More info on your location could help adjust your planting date. The Midsouth could be a large area. You could say what lattitude if you don't want to name the area. Also, how many days to maturity are listed for your cabbage variety?

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Have you had soil testing done for nutrients? I'm wondering if part of the problem might not be related to proper plant nutrients.

Give a micro nutrient fertilizer a try and see if that will help. Personally I like Spray N Grow.

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
Purple/red cabbage never does as well as the green plants. This year my green cabbages were wonderful but the red just never amounted to much. Usually the heads are much smaller anyway. All of the cabbage plants were fertilized, watered etc. the same, but the red ones just sat there. Last year the red did quite well.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am in Jonesboro, Arkansas, which is the far northeast corner of the state.

I guess I may need to do a soil test. I plant in this location frequently, lots of compost turned into the soil quarterly (usually between crops).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts