Bypass oil filter system

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by LisaT, Dec 5, 2004.

1. LisaT

LisaT Well-Known Member

Just a quick question here. I recently purchased a gmc PU with 285,000 miles, runs great, good compression, however the last two oil changes have resulted in the filter bypassing. They appear to be completely clogged. I am considering installing a bypass filter system such as the Frantz or the Amsoil system. Anyone had any experience with these? I have tried a couple of different flushes, don't seem to be working fast enough or could just be contributing to my problem. OH the filter cloggs at around 400 miles or so. You can watch the oil pressure get lower everytime you drive it and the change the filter and oil pressure goes back up. I think if I can clean the engine internally well enough I won't have to open it up. ( I hope, at least until spring). What are your thoughts? I am very knowledgeable on autos, just not overly familiar with these systems. Are they good or are they hype?

Thanks
    Theront

2. SouthernThunder

SouthernThunder Well-Known Member

Chevy's have the oil bypass valve in the oil filter adapter and it can be easily blocked. You might try blocking this valve and using a top quality 2 quart filter (WIX, K&N or NAPA) and light weight oil like synthetic 5W30. You must use a good filter though with high burst pressure especially in cold weather or you will have an oily mess on your hands. This would be your cheapest route and should carry you to spring. I wouldn't mess with trying to clean the oil passages on a motor that is approaching 300k. Can you imagine what the lifter galley looks like? Proabbaly enough stuff in there to fill up 15 filters. Lord knows that sucker has given you a LOT of faithful services.. let it wear out in peace! :eek:

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Your flush attempts are what is causing the filters to bypass as the loose gunk is now clogging the system.

4. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

I would have to agree with agmantoo. The flushes are loosening the gunk which is now going into solution in the oil and being trapped by the filters. If you want to be rid of the gunk, change the oil and filter more often. Then keep changing filters often. You can get by with the cheaper filters until the clogging slows down, but I would suggest a good filter for longer term use.

As far as the bypass oil filtration systems, I have one on an IROC-Z and it works great at keeping the synthetic oil clean. In your current situation, it would clog up very quickly, and those filter cartridges are kinda pricey. They are sub-micron filters, so they clean the oil to a much higher degree, hence they foul pretty quickly in extremely contaminated oil.

Bob

5. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

I would buy some cheap filters and change every week till things clean up. I always drain my filters a few days then cut them open to see whats going on in the motor.

mikell

6. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I haveto agree with the others, you loosened up all that gunk with the flushing attempt, and here you are.

Buy a whole bunch of filters, and change every 400 miles if that's what it takes now. Going to be at it a while. Hope nothing plugs up an oil passage in the meantime.....

--->Paul

7. New Mexican

New Mexican Well-Known Member

We use Frantz and would never do without them. My dh used to install and sell them and we are absolute believers in taking proper car of any "horse", er vehicle!

8. LisaT

LisaT Well-Known Member

Hey thanks for the good info, I think for the time I will continue to do as I am doing. It is no longer clogging the filter. I have been changing the oil at around 500 miles. This seems to be helping alot, haven't clogged a filter in a while.

Thanks
    Theront