Bye Bye Yard light!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by deberosa, Dec 16, 2004.

1. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

Way back when I first joined I asked about the usefullness of a yard light. My new place came with one. I got lots of good advice and debated this with myself all year, but the final deciding factor in getting rid of it once and for all is that it's messing up my Roosters' clocks and the ducks stay out in the field because of the light.

I was thinking of maybe moving the light to the barn area, but that would have been even worse!

So yesterday I went down and filled out the paperwork to have it turned off - saves $9 a month and my poultry can sleep in peace! In an evening of duck chasing this week I got out away from the light to see the real stars - now I can't wait until it gets turned off. They absolutely would not put a switch on it - go figure.

Whew, one more decision done for the year! :haha:

2. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

if only more people would get rid of them.

I still think rather than being a safety feature, that they show the crooks enough light to break in without having to show a flashlight or anything.

Now you'll have what I call "good dark".

Congratulations and Merry Christmas.

AngieM2

3. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Congratulations and YAY YOU!!! MY (ex) spouse thinks those things are the greatest invention since moms. Go Figure! I HATE mine..but since it's in a non animal area.. I leave it. And mine only costs $6 per month! LOL!

4. featherbottom

featherbottom Well-Known Member

5. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

I placed my dove's cote where it is because it was total darkness in that area until the neighbors put up a bare bulb light by their front door. It casts light into the cote and I hear my doves making noise at all hours of the night. It's messed up their clocks. :( The only time they get a good nights rest is when the neighbors forget to turn the light on. Getting away from this place is going to be such a blessing.

I agree with Angie, you now have a "good dark" and I believe you'll never reget it. Good for you.

6. GRHE

GRHE Mountain Ogre

They create what is commonly called "light pollution". We have one because out place came with it also. I want it removed, but the wife has not agreed yet. I am willing to replace it with a time controlled one as I'm willing to have it on for a couple of hours at dusk, but I want a top reflector on it. There was a number of attempts to get the shields manditory a few years ago, but they failed. With a shield you have no light going up to destroy the night sky or disorient birds, and only half the power is needed to light the intended area below the light. Ours is at least far enough away from our birds to not disrupt them too much, but PG&E says it will take them at least 6 months to get around to turning theirs off, grrrr.

7. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

You could always buy one and put it on a switch. At 9/month it would not take long to pay for itself.

8. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

I think a good old fashoned rock would work pretty well to put out a light. Used to work for me.

mikell

9. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

mikell,

I used to be pretty handy with a sling shot and a wrist rocket but unfortunately I wouldn't be able to get inside my front door before they realized I was the culprit. It would be nice to be in the country where a well placed .22 would do the job without the hassle. :haha:

10. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

Ed/IL You are right, thats what I did 10 years ago and have never used the switch.Mine is in the barn yard and its nice to go out and ckeck at night with out a hand held light.

11. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

deberosa I have to agree our co-op started charging $10 per month were turning ours off for the new year. I think I'll put a solar unit from lowes on the lower shed. My neighbors works rather well. They run $59 with back up battery pack. If someone is going to break in they can bring their own light. :D

12. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Yeah I had the electric co-op breathing down my neck trying to get me to put one in and I refused. That and whole house surge protectors (which are great but I don't need a monthly charge for something I can put in once) and they also push geothermal heat pumps pretty hard too. They wouldn't put in a light with a switch either for some reason. There are a few times in which having an outside light might be useful so I just put in floodlights that I can turn on when I need to which in the 2 years since i put it in has been once for 2 minutes.

I think the yard lights are nothing more than making the burglars job easier. I hate the things. I've seen shops broken into that had lights outside and the lights left on inside as well. Personally I have infrared cameras and infrared light sources which light my place up so I can see what is going on day or night. Plus it is all recorded so I can look back and see who did it if anything does happen.

I like to walk out at night and see the stars not some sickly washed out haze. It makes astronomy and stargazing easier an the meteor shower the other night was spectacular. The Aurora Borealis is neat too when it gets down this far. I just like the dark to be just that. Dark. On a moonless night when you go outside it should be as my mom and dad would say "darker than the inside of a cow."

13. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

I don't get it? You have to get permission from someone to turn off your lights?

I figured many of the people on this board lived in the country (I realize not all do). If that's the case, you actually have lights on/near your property that someone else controls? That sounds way too much like the dreaded CCR's in densely packed urban housing developments.

What's up with the lights???

Wayne

14. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

Pellet guns work well to turn off the lights that the power companies are dragging their feet to shut off :haha:

I leave a 15 watt compact flourescent light on all night about 50 feet away from the roos so they don't crow at all hours of the night. It's not so bright that it washes out the stars, and it works well at keeping them quiet until about 4:30 to 5:00 AM.

Without it, any time we turn on a light at night in the kitchen or bedroom, they begin to crow, no matter what time it is.

Bob

15. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

Anyone can request a yard light around here, simply pay the monthly fee. An elderly woman who was going blind lived at this place before I bought it last year. I am sure they put it up for her benefit. My yard light is so far from the road it can barely be seen from the road, and the PUD will not put a switch on it. That is the most aggravating part that makes absolutely no sense at all.

They said mine will be gone in about two weeks. If not I may go the bb gun route. :D One of my hesitations was that a huge, beautiful honeysuckle bush was planted around the base of the pole and they will take the pole too. I hope the bush survives but figured I would deal with it if it didn't. :)

16. GRHE

GRHE Mountain Ogre

There are two types, one you own. You can turn it on/off, put on a timer, etc.
    The other, the electric company owns, and you have to pay a monthly fee. It is also usually not metered. Once they put it in, they are in control of it though. If you buy property, and it is already there, they will remove it when they get around to it, and you pay for it until they do. Most places, when they install a new one, you get to choose if it stays on all night, if you have a switch, things like that. But if it is already there, at least around here, they will not change it.

17. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

Wouldn't have one on my property that the electric company controlled! We have one on the house that is controlled with a switch. I would like to keep it turned off, but the wife likes to have a light on that lights up our bedroom. (Some kind of phobia of the dark perhaps? ;) )
    My father-in-law thinks I should put a dusk to dawn light up down at the barn. If I go down at night, I use a flashlight or nothing at all.

I always figured having a light on just shows the crooks where to get in. I figured if it is dark, and they have to use a flashlight, they would show up if someone was looking outside!

18. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

A cheap option to consider is a security light that goes on if someone moves in front of it. These are eaisly found at any home depot type of store and easy to install. You can adjust the lenght of time to stay on after it comes, and it stays off until some movement (animal or whomever) crosses the detection path. You can put one or two halogen 60 watts outdoor spotlights and the electicity cost is very minimal. Good for dark areas where you park the car, driveway, etc.

19. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

I always thought those lights just help the thieves. After all, who knows my place in the dark better than I do.

20. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

Hmm, that's very interesting. I've never heard of such a thing. Learn something new everyday.

Thanks
    Wayne