Bvd??

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by SherrieC, Dec 10, 2003.

1. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

My Uncle called me to ask if he could bring over three calves, one of witch would be ours for room. But thru the grape vine we learned they have BVD?? What is this? Obviously we are going to call him and tell him do Not bring the calves, because we don't want this spread on our place, infecting who knows who with what . We have all sorts of farm critters here.

2. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

Sherrie,

I have posted a link to BVD. Here's the link: http://www.addl.purdue.edu/newsletters/1994/bvd.shtml

I would hesitate to let him bring them over, I don't know much about BVD. I would look into how long the disease could remain on your property, it may not. I just talked to a friend this week who had a calf with BVD and he said it would recover and then relapse repeatedly, he finallly sold it.

Bob

3. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

4. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

Be Wise and Never let anyone bring any kind of sick animal to your farm.

You could loose all of your stock, and be held responsible for other farmers losses to their stock.

Take no chances.

Be a happy livestock owner !

5. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

BVD is easily prevented by vaccination, but there is no cure or treatment for the active disease.

It does not live long on the ground,etc. so it can't contanimate your farm for very long.

I wouldn't take them either. The only thing that comes on to my farm is healthy and vaccinated first.

Jena