Buying starter rabbits

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Sapphire, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Sapphire

Sapphire Member

Someone on another email list suggest I try here with our problem because you all are so helpful! I've got a 11yo dd who wants to start a small meat rabbit business. We are having trouble getting anywhere with the meat rabbit people in our area. They don't return our calls or emails, or they raise show rabbits and charge $150. We just would like to buy a buck and a couple of does. Can anyone advise us? We have tried the New Zealand breeders assoc., the Rabbit Breeders assoc., local feed stores and five local meat rabbitries.

Any leads would be appreciated. We live in NE Oklahoma and would like NZ Whites. Thanks in advance!

2. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

There are several commercial rabbit producers in Oklahoma. I will contact you privately with further information.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, 2005 ARBA Commercial Department Committee

3. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
    If you are not too picky about breed or pedigrees, I would try your S.P.C.A. or humane society. With Easter behind us, they will soon be overrun with bunnies in need of a good home. I get rabbits from my shelter for $5.00 each. I've adopted a male and female dutch, a male rex, a female polish dwarf and a female californian. If you are selling to a processor, this may not work out as they need to know exactly what they are buying. If you are butchering at home, this is a good way to get your foot in the door for little money. Good luck with the bun business

4. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Good luck on finding the stock but I wanted to bring up another point that I've had to deal with.....finding a GOOD source of food before hand so you can figure in the cost and see if it will be worth it. Around here the bags of a good brand of feed cost $10 per 50# and at that cost it is hard to make any money. If you are able to supplement with something that helps alot as long as it is the right kind of supplement and it will probably be much messier than the pellets. I talked to one man who had 400 does and he ended up driving over 100 miles each way to the actual factory to buy the feed in bulk so that he could be sure to have it on hand and at a lower price. He would not add in hay or anything because of the mess it made and more to clean up from under over 400 cages. But I'm sure you aren't ready to jump into something that big just yet but just some thoughts on it. Best wishes!

5. Tiffann4k

Tiffann4k Well-Known Member

I agree, I have gotten a couple pet rabbits from a local spca for $5.00

Some of the humane societies around here want them spayed or neutred first so to get a rabbit from them costs $60.00 or more, no thank you if I am going to pay that for a rabbit its going to have a darn good pedigree so that I can breed it :haha:

6. CountryWannabe

CountryWannabe Well-Known Member

Would you give me a few names of people I could contact? I live near Tulsa, OK
    My email is:
    MarysLilAcre@aol.com

TIA

Mary in OK