Buying our Homestead!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by holsteintater, Jun 3, 2005.

1. holsteintater

holsteintater Well-Known Member

We are about to move from San Diego to central Ohio due to a job transfer. I've found acreage 10-15 miles away from DH's job. Our intentions are to live more simply - we wnat to have 2 dairy goats, some chickens, and a garden big enough to feed our family. I was raised in the city, haven't done many of things (never canned, gardened! Yikes! ) but we're ready to start and learn!!!

I found a house with 5 acres.

What does one need to look for in a homestead? Geothermal heating? Fencing? Quality soil? Is there a good book or website that can help me buy the house that will meet our needs? I'm nervous because I don't feel educated enough to make this purchase but this so happens to be the timing. THe other option is to buy in the city in a subdivision, research for a few years, and then buy but that would be more costly. I'd appreciate any advice!

2. cookiecache

cookiecache Well-Known Member

If you have know the price of the land is cheap for the area you are moving to then the land can always be sold later when you upgrade. Three of four years of living in the country will give you information needed to get just the right place. Learn at a starter place, then refine your needs and upgrade.

3. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

holsteintater,

Welcome to Ohio. Our house is in Cuyahoga County (Cleveland area) and our farm is in Carroll County (East Central Ohio). Are you moving to the Columbus area? (Just guessing)

Land prices in the surrounding area have been going up so I would recommend buying the place you want rather than an interim place. Interest rates remain low and over the next few years are likely to head higher. I'm sure you will find property prices much lower than the San Diego area. I spent quite a bit of time (business related) in the Pacific Beach area and was in shock over housing/land prices.

Don't worry about all the things you don't know. Do the same things you would do for any house purchase. Get an inspection. Ask the inspector lots of questions. You definately want to be there when they go through. Make the purchase contract contingent on approval of the inspection.

If the house has a well, check the flow rate and water quality. Ask questions about the septic system. Check for any deed restrictions or zoning restrictions that might limit your ability to keep animals or otherwise engage in the activities you want.

Consider whether the area around you is going to develop. We have friends who have a real nice small place (2 acres) that was in the middle of nowhere 10 years ago. Now they are surrounded by developments. And when I say surrounded I mean people can look out their bedroom window and down into our friends chicken coop.

Just a few thoughts.

Mike

4. holsteintater

holsteintater Well-Known Member

Wow, Mike, very interesting about your friends! I could see that happening too because Columbus keeps growing like crazy. The home is in Ostrander which is still pretty country right now.

You're right about the housing prices out here. Our home cost 535,000 it's a standard 4 bedroom not a luxury home and it's got a tiny backyard - all flagstone. It's more like a patio than backyard. I wonder how people can really own these homes out here. We did creative financing with interest only loans which in the Ohio market wouldn't be wise but here it was okay because the houses were appreciating 8000 a month but now the market is down. So I very much look forward to buying a normally priced home! LOL

Thanks for the responses. I am so ready to get away from materialism, the concept rush rush rush, etc. :)

5. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your impending move. You've already got good advice. I have nothing to add there. Just wanted to congratulate you.

6. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

water water water -- if you have that everything else is a breeze! Good Luck!

7. anojones

anojones Member

Buying your first country property can be a little daunting- but it shouldn't stop you from doing it. Common sense is key- water is very important, make sure the septic is in reasonable shape, have the title company find out about any easments, get a survey to know exactly where the property lines are (unless there's a recent one). A book that is helpful for those new to the country life is "Finding and Buying your Place in the Country". It goes over the basics and things to watch for.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0793141095/102-1126873-0527347?v=glance

A Jones

8. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

9. FrogPond

FrogPond Entremanure

Congratulations! I have lived and worked in Columbus for more than 20 years. I moved to my farm a couple years ago and continue to commute to Columbus. Email me or PM if you are moving to the Columbus area and you want to chat. You can check out my web site at www.FPAcres.com to see what I am up to here at the farm!

Safe travels and I hope you have an easy move!