Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if places like Kansas City Meats or Omaha Steaks is a better deal than buying from a store? There is 5 of us2 adults and 3 kids and Christmas and summer a another kid (college) will be here. Any other places like those? Thanks

·
Registered
263 Posts
I haven't bought from either of those. We have meat cutting services in the area. One of them is Western Meats. There is a smaller smokehouse that also sells to customers. That's how we would buy.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Your best bet would be to buy direct from the farmer if you have the freezer space to do so. We get a half of a beef at a time, sometimes a whole one. Our last beef was around $3.30 per pound & we got burger, roasts, & several different kinds of steaks. If I had to buy meat from the store we would probably only get burger as everything else is way too high.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
We used to buy Omaha Steaks... Very expensive, but very good cuts of meat... Better than what we could usually get in the store, but we only bought then because we were making enough to afford good cuts... Those times have given way to lean times now... We no longer buy them...

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
My Dad had Omaha Steaks a couple times and said they were very good. I think it is probably a better idea to watch for specials locally. Here in Rochester, NY, a business that supplies many restaurants also has a retail shop. A bulk order of boneless steak or stew meat, vac-packed, can be had at the restaurant price. This stuff stores well in even a small freezer because it is already compact.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts