buying fruit trees

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by fitwind, Oct 2, 2005.

1. fitwind

fitwind Well-Known Member

i was wondering if anybody knew of some good places to buy some fruit trees. i live in missouri should i go to a nursery or get them at wal-mart? any suggestions would be great..

thanks fit :)

2. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

The best fruit trees I've ever gotten were from Stark Bros. The others I got grew, but the Stark Bros. tree were much better in quality, never lost one when planted properly and always bore fruit for me.

3. Kee Wan

Kee Wan Well-Known Member

I know that Wal-Mart is a little less expensive - but I have heard way too many "poor outcome" stories from there - more that I think is reasonable. They do sell trees that are ok - but if you don't REALLY know your stuff - you may have trouble determining which are good and which are not - and since it can take a couple of years to really know - I just wouldn't chance it. Personally - I'd pay the extra at a local nursry.

Call around your town and ask. Stop in at people's houses that have planted trees that look good nad ask where they got them. Go to the nursery people are ask - talk a while and see what you get a feeling for. look for someone who will take the time to educate you on the trees and what to look for. Look around for some WOM advertising - that's usually the best.

4. Loriann1971

Loriann1971 Well-Known Member Supporter

We are ordering our trees from this company this year. The prices are unbelievable...I haven't actually ordered anything, so I am not sure about quality, but they have quite a guarantee.

5. drgnldy71

drgnldy71 Serene Dragon Farm

What company are you ordering from?

6. Loriann1971

7. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

I agree Stark Brothers is good, and located in Missouri (you could go visit). The nurseries around here actually stock Stark Brothers trees.

Like the Autumn Ridge Nursery is Burnt Ridge Nursery (http://landru.myhome.net/burntridge/) with more selections. Like Stark Brothers is Raintree Nursery (http://www.raintreenursery.com/). Raintree has the same prices and quality as Stark Brothers (with a little more selection) I've ordered from both. I ordered from Burnt Ridge this year also, but didn't put the time and effort into the order I should have (and had a drought), I do plan on ordering a couple of things from them again (it was mostly my fault that not everything made it through the first year).

Also Vernon Barnes and Sons Nursery is mail order only. They have the about the same prices as Autumn Ridge (mabye a little cheaper). To get their catalog call 931-668-8576 or send them a request to Vernon Barnes and Sons Nursery P.O. Box 250F5 McMinnville, Tennessee 37111.

All 3 I've listed are listed as good nurseries by the Garden Watchdog for guide to Gardening by Mail (both seed companies as well as Nurseries). Their address is www.gardenwatchdog.com (I finally use them before buying from a "new" seed company or mail order Nursery.)

Pat

8. Loriann1971

WOW...I don't think we will be ordering from Autumn Ridge after reading all the reviews.

9. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

they are great and a good price, but no web sit.
    randy

10. OAKlander

OAKlander New Member

In my area it seems most of the local nurseries, and large retailers that sell fruit trees sell mostly varieties that are very susceptible to disease. It pays to do your research, and wait till you can find someone who sells what you want. Good Luck

11. primroselane

primroselane Well-Known Member

I work Wal-marts, Lowes and Home Depots when trees arrive each spring and fall. Sometimes the grower overplanted. That means that there are some trees with an extra years growth.

When it comes to popular varieties, local nurseries have a hard time offering price and quality possible from the big buyers. Our two local ones grow native trees and plants and they get my native business. There's a lot of trees offered by big boxes that aren't going to do well.

I like to see what I am getting. I check the trunk carefully. I pick it up to see if it has been in the container a while. A tree recently dug up with damaged or insufficient roots can still have leaves and look healthy. Lowes had some nice pecan trees for $30. The problem was that they were in a short container. Whoever dug it up didn't understand that the pecan has a long tap root. Bought a smaller pecan from Home Depot for $25, but it was in a long bucket.

Wal-mart pecans have long tap roots but they come in mulch wrapped in plastic bags. Sometimes the mulch dries out. Sometimes it gets too hot in the plastic bag and the roots cook. Likewise, I always worry about roots being injured when buying trees that are shipped. Most of the time you can get your money back if the tree doesn't make it but you still loose a year of growth.