Buying fruit trees from Plantranch.net?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by NYhomesteadr, Aug 3, 2005.

1. NYhomesteadr

NYhomesteadr Active Member

I found this place on ebay. They sell fruit trees for $3.99 each. The trees are shipped between 12" and 18" tall. How long will it take a 12" tree to produce fruit? Has anyone bought from them?
    Is this company reliable?

2. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

I've bought a few things from Darren at Plantranch. The trees are as described....very small. But for $3.99, what can you expect? He is very good at correspondance, too. Out of all of my trees, I think I lost an apple.... it never did grow.....but for $3.99, it isn't worth the hassle to replace it. He would have if I had asked, I'm sure.

I bought them last year. I thought both of the peaches had died, but left them in all winter. They are branched out now, but still very small. Will be awhile before they are big enough to do anything.....but like I said....for $3.99.....

3. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

These are probably bench grafts that need special care the first year or two. The web site doesn't appear to give much information about rootstocks, etc., but what do you expect for $4 or $5 for a tree? I have a number of apples that are bearing well that I bought from Bear Creek Nursery as tiny bench grafts. I didn't know enough to take as much care of them as I should, or I would have twice as many trees in my orchard.

Trees like this are probably just a year or 2 behind the 6 foot tall trees you may get elsewhere for $15 to $20, so they are probably worth taking a chance on, if they varieties offered appeal to you. I notice that they mention zone 5 as the coldest recommended for their varieties.

Jim

4. tupper

tupper Member

I have bought some cheap trees like that before, They just take longer to grow, but the price is right if you are planting alot like i was, (over 100 trees last spring and by hand, only lost 2 but i watered alot and still do)