Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sure wish we could buy fresh cows milk again-straight off the farm. I miss being able to make butter, cottage cheese, etc. Cant manage a cow ourself anymore.
Anyone else miss this, as I do?

·
Premium Member
9,545 Posts
Boy, I do too; big time!! I can understand health laws, but sometimes I think they go too far. People also have to use common sense on health issues and take some responsibility on their own shoulders.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Boy, I do too; big time!! I can understand health laws, but sometimes I think they go too far. People also have to use common sense on health issues and take some responsibility on their own shoulders.
I don't even think it is really about health. They say that cigarettes give you cancer and can kill you, yet you can buy them. You can buy peanuts, peanut butter, peanut oil and other things, yet some people die from eating something that was just made in the same factory where peanuts are handled. Look at all the sickness and death from the e-coli in the salad greens, hamburger, etc, yet they are till for public sale. I think it is about power, but that is my own humble opinion. :soap:

Marci who is now stepping down from her soap box.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Last I checked, it was still legal to buy fresh milk off the farm in both KS and MO, now VA...*sigh* we're not smart enough to make that choice on our own, the State Government believes they know best and we can only buy/sell pet milk from farms.

http://www.realmilk.com/where1.html If you can't find someone nearby, ask at the Extention office about 4H'ers that may be selling.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
There is a way to get around this.. It is called "cow sharing" The way it works is that you find someone with a cow who is willing to sell " shares" of it. IF you are part owner of the cow you can drink milk from it as an owner can drink the milk from their own animal. Some people even help clean barn or help out with other chores on the farm in lieu of a cash payment to the person with the cow. More than one person can buy into a cow.

·
Registered
615 Posts
We have been drinking fresh raw milk for years now. On the very rare occasion my kids drink store milk, they complain it doesn't taste right or in their words "gross". I sure hope we don't ever have to go back to store milk.

My SIL is managing a dairy and they are looking into offering cow shares. I hope it works out for them, as there is a huge demand for it.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,441 Posts
Missing fresh milk now; all my does are dried off. Won't have milk again 'til the middle of January! Good thing I've put extra in the freezer.

NeHi

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Our cow is down to just over a gallon a day. We only milk her once a day. In Ohio, it depends on what agent you talk to. Some of them say it is illegal to even give the milk away. There was someone who got in trouble for cow shares. It went to court and he won, so for now cow shares does work in Ohio.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Our cow is down to just over a gallon a day. We only milk her once a day.

Several of our goats are down to a gallon a day too. But we milk them twice a day. The children, and Fidos and bottle calves insist!

We stagger our dry periods for the goats, so we are never without fresh milk.

·
Registered
102 Posts
All Country,

Where are you located in Indiana. I'm in IN also. I'd love to find someone to buy fresh milk from!

Thanks,

Penny

·
Premium Member
9,545 Posts
Last I checked, it was still legal to buy fresh milk off the farm in both KS and MO, now VA...*sigh* we're not smart enough to make that choice on our own, the State Government believes they know best and we can only buy/sell pet milk from farms.

http://www.realmilk.com/where1.html If you can't find someone nearby, ask at the Extention office about 4H'ers that may be selling.
Could you give me a link to the new law for Virginia? I Googled it, but didn't find anything. Just links saying it was illegal unless pasturized.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts