buying forestry service land

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MacfromNC, Dec 11, 2005.

1. MacfromNC

MacfromNC Active Member

I've been looking for land for a while now and the cheapest I have found is being sold by forestry services. Short of the absense of timber is there anything else one should be concerned about when purchasing land from a forestry service?

2. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

There's only two ways I've ever seen anyone be able to "buy" USFS land. Either you can swap them another parcel if you're a big developer -- usually 10's of thousands of acres are involved. (And years of legal wrangling.)

Or sometimes they "sell" cabin site leases -- beware, you're only "buying" a lease, for a set period of years, and they're very stringent about what you can DO with the land. Usually you can put a cabin on it, but you can't farm it, fence it, put livestock on it, or otherwise alter the surrounding area. You're just leasing a spot for a house. AND when the lease is up, they can chose not to renew it, and you're responsible for 100% of the cost of removing the cabin and restoring the property to its natural state.

Leva

3. MacfromNC

MacfromNC Active Member

maybe I misused the term "forestry service" Maybe forestry consultants would be a better term. They seem to be more a realestate business that provides forestry services to individual land owners including selling there land after the trees have been harvested. This is one of the sites i've found listings on http://www.edwardsrealestate.net.

4. Bresias

Bresias Restless User

Always make the real estate agents cough up covenants, as they often won't tell you about them up front.

Also, I don't know the correct terms, but I've read and heard of people who have bought raw land, only to find it is zoned as wetlands, or is under two feet of water in the spring thaw. Especially the "cheaper" lands, or the lands that stay on the market longer than the others, I'd earmark as having something wrong with them.

5. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

Around here we have many logging companys that hold lands. they sometimes sale off their lands for different reasons. I would not let that hold you back.

My latest purchase was from a forrester. He had bought it directly from a loggin company and then he clear cut. So when I bought it, it is brush without any marketable trees.

But who cares? I got land that I wanted, and I got it for a good price [ $905 per acre ].

In the last year I have seen forrested land go for as low as $300 per acre.

So go for it!

:)