Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok No laughing at me!! :p

I've never bought a turkey before, My parents always held the holidays at their house, and since we moved up here FIL usually would bring his over from work since he doesn't eat turkey. Well this year that isn't happening since work isn't giving them out, so I'll be off to the market in a couple days to get one.

I know how to cook em (We usually deep fry it - and after a mishap w/ leaving the "bag" inside we've gotten pretty good at it LOL)

I just don't know what to look for when buying one. I mean, the packages are pretty covered up so you can't see what you're getting, but is there anything specific to look out for or is it pretty much a bird is a bird is a....lol.

Another question, for those of you that do fry, we usually just eat the white meat, and the dark goes home w/ FIL since he's not going to be here this year, one of our ideas was to just pick up a couple of turkey breasts (they come in decent sizes right?) but can you fry those like you would a regular "intact" turkey?

I'm laughing at myself and my lack of education over something that seems so silly, but be kind please LOL!

Thanks in advance,
Lisa

·
Registered
417 Posts
I usually just buy 10-14 pounders for frying. I buy what's on sale, in the size range I want. I'm interested if anyone has any other recommendations for selection advice.

As far as frying just a breast.... yep! You can do that no problem. Since we're already buying and heating the oil, our guests usually bring a couple of xtra birds to cook, or extra breasts. We always cook an extra bird for the freezer.

·
God Smacked Jesus Freak
7,456 Posts
buy the size of turkey that will fit in the pot with enough room for enough oil to fry(measure the pots circumference and height so you can compare it with the turkey in the store) BUY IT TODAY--if you put a partially frozen turkey in hot oil IT CAN EXPLODE

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
when I was in the navy stationed in Scotland I bought a great big turkey for thanksgiving at the base commissary. now for those of you not familiar with Scotland most of the appliances there are very small. the turkey I bought wouldn't even fit in the door of my oven. luckily my girlfriends aunt had a big oven and we were able to talk her into inviting us and my large turkey over to her house to share a thanksgiving meal there. sorry I have no earth shattering info on turkey buying to share with you, but if you have a small oven don't buy a great big turkey

greg

·
Bitter Clinger
4,787 Posts
If you are buying frozen (I would recommend a fresh one) you should be buying it today or tomorrow if you want it for thursday. It takes FOREVER for frozen solid turkeys to thaw in the fridge.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
I would buy fresh, with no injection (self basting). A turkey needs to be over 12 pounds or your ratio of bone to meat is bone heavy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts