Buying feed in bulk around N.C

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by frog1437, Dec 7, 2005.

1. frog1437

frog1437 Well-Known Member

I have read where a few people get together and buy feed in bulk.. It seems to me it would be alot cheaper to do it that way if you could find a few nearby..So I guess I am lookin for someone in N.C or near Rockwell N.C that would be interested in finding a Mill and giving it a shot..Thanks for reading..

2. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

Frog,
    perhaps it would be a good idea to invest in a hammer mill of your own to grind & mix your own feed.
    I was paying 215.00 a ton at the cheapest i could get feed in the last 2 yrs, most of the time it was higher then that. i spent $1000.00 on a used mill & now im paying 115.00 a ton on a consistant basis. Of course i have to add my own labor to that ,, but it doesnt take very long to drop a ton of corn & 40 lbs of concentrate into the mill & then dump it into the feeder. about 2 hrs max i would say.
    After 10 mixes of feed for the hogs alone the mill has paid for itself & will start making me a profit on the feed bill, don't forget i am also feeding cattle & chickens with that mill as well, jsut a different mix is all. so to say the least it has paid for itself already & im very happy with the feed i get, no guessing as to what was put in there or how long ago it was packaged.

Somthing to think about huh....
    Rick

3. frog1437

Rick,
    Your right about the hammer mill. I have looked into purchasing one but a good used one is hard to come by..I am in the market if anyone has one they would like to sell..Doesn't have to be a big one I am not real familiar with the sizes but have been doing some research on the internet.. They are real proud of the new ones......I probably need to consider this option a little harder...

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Frog, if you will watch the NC Agriculture Review paper you will find a used hammer mill. You could also put a free wanted ad there also. I have a small unit that I bought for only a few hundred.

5. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

Frog,
    here is a listing from the ag review put out just a few days ago,
    it's the only one listed this mth ,,, but probably worth looking into

NH 851 rnd baler $1,300; Oliver corn picker, $600; hay tedder, $500; Case Intern’l 8430 haybine, $900; JD grinder mixer, $900. Reagan Hudson, Vale 828-874-5147.

Good luck
    Rick

6. frog1437

Thanks for the input guys...I forgot all about the Ag review been a while since i have checked them out.... I will give the people a call tomorrow Rick Thanks again for the help...

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter