Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's only about 10 years overdue but I'm about to have new carpets installed throughout the house.

I'd really appreciate your input as to the type of carpet to buy. I can't afford best quality, but want to avoid bottom of the range, as it needs to see me out!

I've heard that nylon (synthetic) carpets are easy to clean and long-wearing - but they can create static electricity. Wool carpets are supposed to be the best - but they can shrink, and you can see footprints and vacuum trails on them. And one of my friends is rueing the day she decided on a combination of the two - but hasn't explained why. Just keeps telling me 'DON'T!'.

Also - which shows up the dirt more - dark colour or light colour? I won't be going a very dark colour, and all the rooms in my house are very small.

What about patterned carpets?

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
I don't know the materials but we got carpet that was of a more "commercial" grade--low pile. We also got a pattern in it--believe me, you'll be glad you did, small stains etc. don't show at all.

Also...this is very important....if you want a carpet to see you for the duration, always think of the possibility that someone might be in a wheelchair or have difficulty walking in later life.

Heavy pile carpets are a disaster in that case--a wheelchair can hardly move on one. Also, they're harder to keep clean.

In a small house you always want all of the carpet the same color. A small pattern, nothing too wild.

Good luck! I know you'll love having new carpets!

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
They make carpets that are designed to hide stains, you might want to start there. Carpeting has changed in the last twenty years. You may be very happy with wool. I've always bought bolt ends of carpeting. In a small house, I was able to get enough for a living room, hall, and one bedroom. The other two bedrooms had a different color, but the bedrooms don't have to match the rest of the house. Another plus with leftovers is, they have been sitting around outgassing in a warehouse instead of your house.

·
Registered
387 Posts
We bought some new Berber carpet back in the spring and I love it! It is easy to keep clean! The berber we bought has a special stain treatment, and any stains remove with just water!!!! I vacuum it once every other week and it still looks brand new! The smell of it when it was new would nearly knock you out, though! :eek: The brand of the carpet is "Royalty". I don't remember the price...it wasn't the cheapest and it wasn't the most expensive but it has really been worth whatever price was paid for it!

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
Nylon. Polyester mats down and wears much faster than nylon.

Look for something with a bit of pattern and a low knap...I've got an emerald green in the front room you can literally pour bleach on, and it will not fade...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts