Buying Bulls

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Jena, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I want to get another South Devon bull since mine had to be put down. That is such a bummer after waiting all this time for him to grow, but that's how it goes.

I hate looking for bulls. I hate bull sales. I hate looking for an uncommon breed especially.

If I call up one of the breeders who has a bull sale, they tell me to come to their sale, which is too far away. If I try to buy something that isn't in the sale, I suspect I'm getting a "leftover" bull that's not as good. I don't like buying a bull that I can't see in person. I'd really like to buy a bull from the midland bull test, but it's in Montana.

My husband is a sucker for show bulls and high prices. He's one of those that thinks the more the bull costs, the better it is. If it won at a fair, he thinks it's a great bull, regardless of EPD's.

In my experience, show bulls don't always make the best herd bulls. In fact, they often suck. We have one bull he bought in Denver at the Stock show. He does throw nice calves, but his feet are a mess...have to trim his hooves. Who wants to add bad feet to their herd???? Plus pay alot of money for it?

Last time I bought South Devons, I found a guy not that far away and bought two bred cows with calves from him. They were older cows, but boy did they have a couple nice heifers on them. My bull came from one of these cows. I guess I will call him up and see what he's got. He calves in the fall and sells show calves. I hope he has a nice bull calf, but then I gotta wait another couple years to get a herd bull. Those old cows throw nice calves every year, but they are only half south devon since I don't have a bull.

I guess I'm just whining.

Jena

2. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Jena have you looked at embryos sometimes they are a cheaper way to get in than buying expensive bulls and upgrading the herd. If you furnish the recipient cows, a flush of embryos can be cost efective.
    Mr Wanda
    Mike

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Can't you get the cows AI?