buying (and testing) milk cow for raw milk

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Paul Wheaton, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

I remember reading a thread here a few months ago (which I cannot seem to find now) that talked about having dairy cows tested for something or nuther. Apparently, the cows from the commercial lots are often infected with something that gets pasteurized out. So you need to make sure that raw milk animals don't have whatever this is.

Anybody remember what this is or can point me to the thread?

2. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

That could be it. Although I thought I read from somebody about how some big herd had 75% infection, but they were not concerned about it because of pasteurization. Whereas with raw milk, you must be very careful.

3. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

You might be thinking of Johnne's disease. I just saw another news article linking Johnne's to Crohn's disease in humans.

There is no reliable test for it. A farm can be declared safe from Johnne's after several years of testing with no positive tests (animals can still be sick, but not test positive). Johnne's survives pastuerization.

Jena

4. OD

OD Well-Known Member

5. julielou

julielou Member

Anybody ever hear of a drop of Grapefruit SEED extract per cup of raw milk to sterilize it? Or H2O2?