Buying a Woodstove

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by elgordo, Apr 30, 2005.

1. elgordo

elgordo Well-Known Member

I'm going to be getting a new woodstove this year; I was thinking of getting a Lopi. Heard anything about them? What type do you have? I only use wood heat to heat my 1200 sq ft home.
    (I also posted this on General Chat, but I think I should've posted it here!)

2. celticfalcon

celticfalcon tom

i also am looking for a wood stove. i currently heat with fuel oil. i have a small fire place in my living room just for cozy stuff.i do get my wood for free and we have enough cut and split for awhile.ive checked lowes,home depot, and t s c web sites but not much info there. i would like to put one in my basement and use the fuel oil as back up. sorry no help but maybe i can get info off of your post?
    thanx
    tom

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

the only thing i know about a lopi is a friend bought 2 of them last year he loves them and he looked at a lot of stoves he has to burn 15 cords a winter

4. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

I have a Hearthstone (soapstone and cast iron). Wouldn't trade it for a brass monkey.

It's a little hard to run because it doesn't heat up very fast, and if you're unused to it, you'll keep chunkin' wood in. Problem is, it don't cool down very fast either. Until we got the rythm right, you'd drive by the place in January and see all the windows open... :haha:

5. cruiser3006

cruiser3006 Active Member

I used a Blazeking airtight. Could put a load of wood in it and not have to add anymore for 20 hrs. Very reliable and I had no complaints. Even cooked on it occaisionally. Sold it after 12yrs. (I moved)

cruiser3006