Buying a vehicle from out of state?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Reauxman, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

I am looking to purchase a new truck. A lot of the trucks I am interested in are out of state though. How would the taxes be handled? Would I pay both the state I buy in and my state? Would I pay no taxes(too good to be true...), or....
    Thanks.
    Roo

2. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Depends on the state you live in and the state you buy from. In Wyoming you pay the taxes when you liscense the truck.

3. Karenrbw

Karenrbw Well-Known Member Supporter

We have bought our last 3 vehicles from an out of state dealer. Father-in-law works at a dealership just over the Kansas state line. Don't even ask about the 3 new vehicle thing - lets just say Ford has a lot of problems with their 6.0 diesel. If you are buying from a dealership that is close to the state line, they will be familiar with the protocol. We have just gotten paperwork to send in to the authorities here in Missouri and paid Missouri sales tax on our trucks. If you are buying from an individual, you will take the title in and they will bill you for the state in which you are living for the sales tax.

4. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

Most of the trucks are in TX, I'm in LA.

5. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

We've bought a vehicle and an RV out of state. We didn't pay taxes in the states we bought in, we paid the taxes when we came back home and registered the vehicles.

6. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I justr\ sold a truck to a guy in ohio. here in PA he paid for it, bought a transport tag, took the noterized stamped title to ohio and trandfered it and paid the state sales tax there.

7. Paul72

Paul72 Well-Known Member

I recently bought a new to me F150 in minnesota before we moved to Alabama, got a 30 day minnesota temporary tag and paid the taxes and registration when we got to Alabama.

8. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

We recently bought a truck and a motorcycle down here in AR where we're parked in our RV, paid taxes on them back home in MO where we licensed them.

Have you "Tinkled" today?

9. mamagoose

mamagoose Well-Known Member

We've purchased 2 trucks from northern TX. One from an individual and one from a used car dealer. They've both been great, no rust for their age when we got them (unlike Ohio vehicles), some repairs to the one, but we still made out even after the RT (just in case) airfare. The TX titles we received didn't even have "purchased for $______" on them. We had to first get an inspection done at the BMV (they just checked the VIN and mileage) and then to the title department where they asked for a sales receipt. We gave them a copy of the cashiers check and they were satisfied and paid taxes to the State of Ohio on that amount and we received an Ohio title. Just a tidbit on titles, (in Ohio) if have more than 2 vehicles in your name alone when you pass away, it will force that part of your estate into probate. So many folks don't even know you can WROS (with rights of survivorship) your vehicles and therefore the day you die, you don't own it = no probate on that. This includes trailers, etc. anything with a title. "Jane Doe and John Doe WROS" Can be anyone, not necessarily a spouse. You can transfer a title to this designation for a few dollars and save a hundred or two in attorney fees if vehicles are your only asset. Most courts won't "let" you file anything on your own. 2 vehicles (in one name alone) can pass to a surviving spouse automatically without probate. This is in Ohio, other states may be different. Oh, and some demolition companies won't take junk vehicles without a title.