Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do we look for? Never owned one and need suggestion as to what to look at and for--when going through one.. Thanks QB

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Check that you can operate all the appliances. Turn them fully off and fully on. Check that windows are water tight and that the ceiling isn't discolored. Check the lighting both inside and out. Make sure that rear lights, turn lights, hazard and running light reflectors are intact and that all work properly. Check the floor everywhere for soft spots especially under and around doorways, corners and under/near plumbing.
Get a lesson on emptying or filling any tanks including how to operate drains. Learn to use and set up any awnings. Check all over for mold. Check the tires including the spare for rot. If it uses propane check that the valves and connections have been converted to the new style (sorry I forget what its called). Turn the propane on and sniff for leaks.

If this is a private seller I recommend that you go through a setup and take down check list with them. Ask about any winterization program that they use. Write everything down.

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have a crew cab F150 4x4. We haul a 25ft. Sea Pro with it--no problems there.. Thanks for the suggestions..QB

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
Queen Bee said:
We have a crew cab F150 4x4. We haul a 25ft. Sea Pro with it--no problems there.. Thanks for the suggestions..QB
...............Better do your "due diligence" before you spend that money ! There are (3) kinds of exteriors on most trailers , metal , filan fiberglass , and Gelcoat(best,most expensive,heaviest) , and they ALL are subject to DElamination where the exterior covering becomes separated form the interior frame of the trailer . Mostly this happens when water infiltrates behind the exterior and the wooden supporting structure . Most roofs nowadays are Rubber overlayed on a supporting plywood superstructure . The roof can get air bubbles caused by lack of adhesion between plywood and rubber . Or a water leak can cause the same problems in a roof that it does in a wall .
...............You have two area's of knowledge that you must be knowledgeable "in" , (1) establishing the correct value for your trailer and , (2) the Physical condition of your trailer . Get in a hurry and overpay for a trailer with obvious defects and you'll endup being a very UNhappy camper , literally . , fordy

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
If it has slideouts you need to make sure they work properly and don't slope down too much. I would suggest asking if you can spray the trailer down with a hose and check for leaks as many trailers will leak. If there is a slide out, spray it with the slide out in, and all the way out. In between it will leak though.

You'll want to run the fridge on both propane and electric, as well as have the trailer hooked up to a water line under pressure and check for leaks and make sure all the faucets and toilet work. Have them disconnect the water hose, fill the holding tank and see if the pump works to pump water and that there are no leaks in the holding tank. When you have run water in the trailer, check to see that the sewer and gray water tanks do not leak.

Make sure all the doors and cabinets close firmly, that the antenna works, and check all the lights and electrical outlets - bring a small lamp or fan for this.

For furniture that folds in/out (beds from couches, tables, etc.) make sure that they work properly and that all parts are there.

Plus the other recommendations above.

Happy Camping!
Dawn

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great ideas and reminders of what to look for. Thanks. It seems like a great deal--It's a product of divorce.. She got the camper and he got the boat. It is ten yrs. old and hasn't been used much-a few times a yr. We know the brother in law and he wanted it but can't swing the money--we have the money, been looking and this seems perfect for us. It's looks brand new, but hasn't had anything done to it--so I might want to spruce it up a little. I thought about replacing the carpet w/ vinyl because we have dogs and I hate carpet but it won't have to have anything right away. The tires were purchased new in May. Queen Bee

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
Queen Bee said:
Great ideas and reminders of what to look for. Thanks. It seems like a great deal--It's a product of divorce.. She got the camper and he got the boat. It is ten yrs. old and hasn't been used much-a few times a yr. We know the brother in law and he wanted it but can't swing the money--we have the money, been looking and this seems perfect for us. It's looks brand new, but hasn't had anything done to it--so I might want to spruce it up a little. I thought about replacing the carpet w/ vinyl because we have dogs and I hate carpet but it won't have to have anything right away. The tires were purchased new in May. Queen Bee
.................Lots of RV's are being equipped with "new tires" made in China and they're having lots of blowouts and causing lots of damage . Lots of used RV's have new tires made in China are , also having similar problems as well . Currently , just one US importer has recalled 450,000 tires made in China and sold under a multitude of different brand names . The company admits it can't even come close too paying for a complete recall of all their malfunctioning tires that they imported . There are probably chinese tires in the millions with defects but it will draw national attention sooner or later . , fordy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts