Buying a registered cow

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JA in WA, Dec 25, 2005.

1. JA in WA

JA in WA Member

I'll be visiting a ranch next week to see if I want one/two of their registered and bred cows. I'm confident I can pick a good animal but am new to the transaction part of it so have a few questions.

Is there a bill of sale for registered stock? If so should I include health & pregnancy contigencies? If the animals I choose are not papered yet should I include that in the bill as well? What proof of ownership should I use once I've got them home?

I'm not worried about getting snookered, I just want to cover all of my bases.

I'll appreciate other input on this purchase if you've got it.

Thanks.

2. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Each registered one should basically come with a title from the breed association. However, make sure the cow is tattooed with the same number as on the registration papers. IMHO do not, repeat do not, purchase with the registration papers to follow. Essentially much like changing the title on a car. Both seller and buyer need to endorse the registration papers and then the buyer sends them into the breed association for new registration papers in their name. You may have to join the breed association also.

You are paying a premium price really only justified by the paperwork being correct.

Immunizations, guarantee of being bred to a certain registered bull, etc. are between buyer and seller. Recall hearing the story of one purebred breeder who only purchased one registered bull, but had several out with the cows. Amazingly every since one of the registered cows were bred to him.

MHO only - purebreds usually aren't worth the extra money over a similar, but unregistered, animal.

3. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

If you want a registered cow make sure you have it in writing that the cow is guaranteed bred and to what bull. As far as buying registerd cattle is will only be worth while is your are going to raise them to sell, if your buying for your own use a commercial one it a heck of a lot cheaper.

Bobg

4. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Same 'bull' also applies to livestock auctions. Auctioneer loves to say 'bred to a good black bull'. I bought a group of three solid black, long-bred cows under that comment. First calf born this AM. The heifer calf is brown.

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Ask if the animal is guaranteed bred or guaranteed live calf. Big difference!

6. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

IMHO buying a registered cow is worth the expence even when her main purpose is to produce beef for yourself. I paid $1000 for my Highland cow. She has produced two boys and one girl. I sold 3/4 of the first boy for $800, the second will all go into our freezer since we won't have a beef next year. The girl has sold for $1450. I think the $1000 was a good investment.
    If you don't want to join the association, the seller should be willing to send in the registration transfer. Be sure to check the tattoo to make sure you have the right beast.

7. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Newbie here... I purchased a reg. Jersey in milk from a dairy with papers to follow. They did. I purchased her bred to a reg. Jersey bull- she wasn't. My fault. Next time I'll get a breeding guarantee or a free breed back in writing since a reg. Jersey heifer would have almost paid for my cow.

8. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes there is quite a difference and I won't guarantee a live calf though I will guarantee bred. There are just too many things that can happen to a pregnant cow after she leaves my hands. I have no control over the question of her having a live calf or not. The stress of moving, combined with new quarters, new companions, new food, it can all cause abortion as can the new owners management in the remaining months of pregnancy. I am not responsible for what happens after the money has exchanged hands and the cow is gone. I will guarantee the cow is bred when leaving my property, after that its in the hands of the new owner.

9. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

When we sell registered animals privately, the paperwork is included in the cost. We send the transfer to the assoc. and they will send the purchaser her new papers. If there are things the buyer wants such as preg checking , health test, or blood work the cost is either split or we cover it in the cost of the animal. If trust is an issue then check the paper with the ID to match animal and have the seller sign the paper or transfer and you handle the rest. I will have animals confirmed preg. but never a live calf. Many people buy our registered cows but do not want the papers.

10. Rod_

Rod_ Member

One thing about guaranteed bred, what if she is not? Are you willing to load her back in the trailer and haul her back to the guy you bought her from to run with his bull? Depending on the distance, I would think not. Too much trouble if the distance is too far. I would rather have in the contract that if she is not bred that the seller pays for the semen and fees to have her AI'd.

Rod