buying a new riding lawn mower

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by dot, May 14, 2004.

1. dot

dot Well-Known Member

Anyone have comments on the Husqvarna mowers?

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............dot, Never owned a Hus but I have heard that they make a good product. Personally, I own a Snapper 1433 , rider mower. it has a 15 hp , kohler engine and has been virtually maintenance free for the last 8 years. It DOES NOT have the conventional double blade setup that most mowers have. it is a fairly simple machine and made very well. It has a single 33 inch blade driven by a single belt from the engine. It is the Best mower I've ever owned and cuts much better than those double blade setups. I gave 2k for it in dec. of 96 but it is still mowing in 2004. You should take alook at them but realize they are pricey. I have 5 acres in the country of which I mow about 3.5 acres. Most folks would mow this place with a brush hog but my snapper does it just fine. I put in a lot of "Butt time" but when I'm sitting on my brain(s) I seem to beable to think quite clearly...........fordy.... :eek: :)

3. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

I prefer commercial grade Briggs engines on Murray garden tractors.

4. Dixie912

Dixie912 Well-Known Member

I don't know much about the different manufacturers, but DO NOT go to Sears and buy their extended warranty. We did. Big mistake. They are supposed to some out any time you have trouble. I called them last spring and told them the mower wouldn't start. The operator asked me why it wouldn't start. I said if I knew that, I may be able to fix it myself. She said they would not send a technician unless I could tell them what was wrong with the mower. It has been like that every time we have called. We were told by the technician that the operators are trained to do that to keep from having to send out techs for repairs. I would never pay for that "service" again.

5. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry but commerical grade and murray dont mix. Murray is pretty much bottom of the barrel mower in quality.

6. Gary in ohio

Which Husqvarna mowers? XP Series makes serveral lines?
    If your looking at the Husqvarna Lowes sells, my questions is who will work on it when you need repairs. Lowes and Home depot are bad at changing vendors on products that give them the best deal, several years ago Lowes tractor line was totally differant. Again if its the lowes products, I think I would stick with the Cub cadet or Troy build (both MTD build and USA made). Husqvarna is a swedish proudct.

7. Ohiosteve

Ohiosteve Well-Known Member

The term "you get what you pay for" applies to lawn and garden tractors probably morso than any other product. In my opinion A Husquavarna is a mid range tractor in terms of quality at best. I just bought an Ingersoll that is very
    pricey but I expect will last many years even mowing the large acerage that I mow. The benchmark that I use to determine ruggedness is the rear transaxel.
    Is it alunimum or is it cast steel? Most these days are alunimum which is not as rugged as the steel. Befor you buy that Husky check out the Toro Wheel Horse
    "Classic" series. This is a more rugged tractor for not much more money.

8. Phil - MO

Phil - MO Active Member

I don't think anybody actually answered your question.

I bought a 15hp Husqvarna mower several years ago and mow about an acre at home and 2 acres of rough mowing on the farm barn yard. I like it a lot better than the Walmart mowers.

I don't know the series off hand, but it has a Kohler engine with oil filter, cast iron front axle, hydrostatic trans., electric blade engagement, and I bought it off season from the local farm dealer. They repair them, but I haven't needed any repairs yet. Haven't even sharpened the blades, and use it weekly this time of year. Has a good tight turning radius, but when turning on a hill (I have lots of hills) the drive tire sometimes slips. Have to back up and go straight up.

I think I paid about $1800 several years ago with a bagger on sale, about half what a John Deere or ? would cost, and it seems to have the same features. I don't think much of the bagger (too hard to attach).

9. bulldinkie

bulldinkie Well-Known Member

we always had simplicity it has a floating mower deck theres no scalping little bumps etc.It floats.great mowers

10. dale

dale Well-Known Member

if you look at the serial number on the Husky and it starts with AYP then it is made by the same people that makes Craftsman, Wizard, Weedeater, Pouland. The main problem with them is their decks.

The housing that the belts and blades run on are made out of aluminum and are weak.
    I work at small engine repair shop and we go thru approx 6-8 housings per week to two weeks. Of course here in Missouri we have alot of rocks to hit and tree roots. If you have a rock and root free lawn then they would work just fine.
    The housings run about 20.00 and 52.00 if you need the shaft and bearings too.

Just my observation working week after week.

dale

11. edjewcollins

edjewcollins Well-Known Member

Your right there. I bought a Scott's walk behind from HD and 2 years later they didnt carry em anymore, damn good walk behind though!

Ed

12. jgood49829

jgood49829 New Member

I own a Sears Craftsman DGT6000 and the deck is 10 guage steel and so is the Huiskie lawn mower.

13. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member Supporter

We just bought a brand new 20 hp John Deere for $2100; even has cruise control and A CUP HOLDER! A big deal to hear dh tell it :haha:
    Mickey

14. Bobby

Bobby Guest

The Old Cub Cadet's were very reliable, I loved the hydro steering.

15. I have never used a Husqvarna mower but I have seen quite a few used units for sale recently (usually not a good sign). Like a lot of small tractors, Huskys could be made by a large generic manufacture and Husky just puts their name and paint on it. Some of the less expensive John Deere mowers are made by Scott for Deere. When shopping for a mower, you would be wise to locate a reliable local dealer and go with whatever they sell. Hopefully, the local dealer will take care of you and the mower when you are in need of service.
    If you want recommendations for a mower, it would depend on how much land you need to mow and how much time you have to do it. If you are cutting under an acre a week, you can get by with just about anything. If you are mowing considerably more land (or have a lot less time), you would be wise to look at the better grades of mowers. I am rather impartial to Simplicity cuz I own one but John Deere and Kubota also make good lawn mower/tractors. Another option (especially if you are only going to use the machine for mowing) would be to look at a commercial rig. Both Scag and Bobcat make good walk behind mowers that cost about as much as a lawn tractor but are much better and faster at cutting lawns. The Z-turns have come down a lot and you can get into a good one for about 6K now. Scag makes a nice tiger cub with a Honda motor for about 7.5K. Traction on hills with a z-turn can be a little lacking but on the flat they mow like crazy. If you go with a commercial rig get a Kawasaki or Honda motor. The Kohler commands can have head gasket problems.

16. shakeytails in KY

shakeytails in KY Well-Known Member

We have a couple of Husqvarna chainsaws that are very reliable and trouble free. I probably wouldn't but a husky riding mower just because I don't feel like that is their specialty, jmho.

Best lawn mower we ever had was a White, bought used. I killed the deck bush-hogging too much with it. A new deck would have cost more than the mower was worth. Then bought a used Cub Cadet- biggest piece of junk ever! Now we have a used John Deere. It's a nice mower, and fast!! Only problem is it's green- and parts for green equipment seem to be quite pricey! The clutch will need replacing fairly soon, and the best price I've found is $180- and that doesn't include installation.

17. Gary in ohio

Depending on what year and model the Cub was that could be true. Now a days there are not many manufactures.

MTD makes a wide range of tractors under a number of names.

MTD, Huskie (TSC brand labeled), yardman, while, bolens, troybuilt, yard machines cub cadet and several other house brand names are all based on the same platoforms. The lower end units are based on the older MTD line, The rest are built on the 600 and 800 series MTD so from tractor to tracto they are the same or similar except for color and in some cases trim.

18. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

Yeah, Bobby has it right "The old Cub Cadets were very reliable". Please notice the word "OLD"! The new ones are nothing but junk. We bought ours new about 9 years ago, and every single year there is something the matter with it that it ends up in the repair shop. Won't ever buy a Cub Cadet again, unless it is an old one.

Sorry that I can't answer your question about the Husqvarna. (Our guy that repairs the Cub Cadet told us they were a very good reliable mower). And no, he is just the repair guy, he doesn't sell them.

Don't buy a Cub!

19. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

The same is with the new John Deeres--the old ones were great, the new ones ain't. Been there, done that...John Deere will not stand behind, in front of, or along side their product.

Stacy in NY