buying a chainsaw

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by nwilder, Jan 31, 2005.

1. nwilder

nwilder Active Member

We are going to buy a new chainsaw and would like input on Stihl and Husqvarna. We heat with wood so this saw would get a workout all summer long. The one we have now is almost 20 years old and we are afraid it won't make it much longer. Thanks

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Well, if your current saw is 20 years old, I stick with whatever brand that saw is. You can't go wrong buying a Stihl, Husky or Jonsered....pick the brand that has the closest dealer to you.

And my 2 cents is to leave your wood cutting for fall, winter and spring. The heat is tough on any saw with summer use.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Check this board and the main homesteadign board for chainsaw comments. There have been quite a few lately so you're probably not getting a lot of replies because its been a popular question! We have used a few types and even just bought a cheap Poulan (which seems like a good choice for a short term or light use saw) Other wise we stick to Stihl because we have a few local dealers. Buddy of mine swears by Husky so i might try one of those when money permits.

4. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

20 years is a good lasting powersaw, you probably wont get one today that will make it another 20 years but anyone can get lucky....

I run a 12 year old Husky 288 now called the 385 i believe i would not recomend getting one unless you are cutting huge timber [mine has a small 28 inch bar] I have been know to tie into a few trees that are over 4 feet on the stump with it from time to time....

The small 12 hour head saws [read wild thing, mini mac, small stihl, small anything] are not meant to cut all day long full out for long periods of time yet I know of several people who have.... ive urnt up a poulan or 2 using them for log house building, yet I still like them for around the sawmill for one handed board trimming [yeah i know OSHA *Only Suckers Have Accidents* dont recomend using them that way but i'm ignorant]

In a couple other threads there are a couple excellent links for online price comparsion, however tear a price off the net and take it to the local dealer and ask them to match it or beat it..... since you are paying cash money they would like to have your bidness too and I like to buy as much at my local shops as i can.... when they have what i am after....

William

5. bergere

bergere Just living Life

My husband has a Poulon,, is one of the things he hasn't totally killed in a year.
    Thing is 8 years old now,, and we just put it in the shop to get a new pre oiler...don't ask why he needed a new one. :rolleyes: And he uses it on stuff that in all honesty is too big for it.... should of seen the oak tree he was cutting up. :eek:

I know it is not the best quality saw out there,, but pretty tough. Maybe it helps he has been using saws since he was a teen?? Have no idea.

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Stihl, long term investment. Kinda like the wife :D

7. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Maybe get two saws.

I like the Poulan 16" electric for the smaller stuff. Had mine for years, only one of the electrics worth anything. All the rest have something built in designed to fail. Got mine on sale for like $40. Can cut up to around a 12" log without much strain, will even go bigger but probably will shorten the life. Like the no screwing around with gasoline, usally starts on the first pull (Of the trigger). Plus can get parts very easy, toll free number is right on the saw.

http://www.kimcousa.com/PL952801764.html

Maybe drag the smaller stuff, logs, tops, etc back to within easy reach of an extension cord and take some of the cutting time off the larger gas saw. I like to set the smaller stuff up in a buck and gang cut it. Also do the same with scrap lumber, etc. The electric is super for that type work.

For the bigger stuff, I prefer the Mexican approach. Manuel crosscut with Swedish steam. :haha: Cutting smaller stuff with a crosscut saw is a bit of a pain. Right saw for the right job.

8. Orville

Orville Well-Known Member

I noticed Poulan saws mentioned a few times. I've used a relatively inexpensive Poulan, purchased at Lowes, for about 4 years now in the South East, both in the cool winters and hot summers. I just keep it sharp, and it cuts well through oak, hickory or whatever. I personally think some of the name-brand saws are overpriced and overhyped. Not that they aren't good saws, but they seem pricey to me. A less expensive saw might serve a homeowner just as well.