Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we were looking on Craigslist and we saw a black buck who was born in 2020 and we contacted the owner we might be buying him so our weather hear at home will have a friend becuase he’s starting to get very antsy in his pen he gets let out but he’s by himself a lot and just needs a friend so we are gonna ask the owner some questions so that we’re not scammed and we’re gonna ask if we can pay in person! He’s up for 200 bucks we’re gonna casturate him when we get him though. I forgot to screenshot a picture of him but he’s pure black

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
41,670 Posts
I am confused. That is a price for breeding stock.

Are you looking for a simple companion? A certain color?

Excess bucklings and wethers normally sell for about $50 every spring.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

He’s not a weather he’s a buck I’m looking for a simple companion for my weather here at home

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,211 Posts
If you're looking for just a companion animal, you can pay more if you want to or maybe find them cheaper as Alice recommends. Is the animal from a tested herd?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

But then when we get him we’re going to get him casturated so he doesn’t breed our does we have 2 bucks for that but our weather is by himself all the time so we want to get a friend fro him

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you're looking for just a companion animal, you can pay more if you want to or maybe find them cheaper as Alice recommends. Is the animal from a tested herd?
I’m pretty sure they are all we texted yesterday was that we are looking for a companion for our weather and I saw you had a buck for sale and she or he said that yes that he was available:) I’m asking questions today

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,211 Posts
Can you run your wether with the two bucks you already have? Not that we have a bearing on what animals you buy but I personally wouldn't want more hayburners than I need.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
You could keep you wether with the bucks or even run him with the Does to get him some company. When I first read your post and you said "Black Buck" I was thinking you were talking about this:

My hubby went to a hunting ranch and killed one of these Blackbucks......Yummy!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you run your wether with the two bucks you already have? Not that we have a bearing on what animals you buy but I personally wouldn't want more hayburners than I need.
Yeah it would be smart but last time we did they didn’t get along with him

·
Registered
129 Posts
I sure wouldn't pay $200 for a buck just to castrate him. My wethers are in the pasture with my bucks. And if I didn't have any bucks, they'd hang out with the does. No need to spend so much on a companion, when it sound like you have several companions already.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I sure wouldn't pay $200 for a buck just to castrate him. My wethers are in the pasture with my bucks. And if I didn't have any bucks, they'd hang out with the does. No need to spend so much on a companion, when it sound like you have several companions already.
We’re gonna end up buying him just for the fact he’s pure black and we love his color in general so it’s semi for color and semi for pet ik he’s expensive but every other goat on there is going for 400 to 500 dollars and half of them are weathers

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
41,670 Posts
You are going to castrate him, so he will BE a wether. You are going to spend $400 for a certain color.

Do you wear Prada shoes?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are going to castrate him, so he will BE a wether. You are going to spend $400 for a certain color.

Do you wear Prada shoes?
No actually I don’t and I don’t care if he will be a weather and it’s not 400 it’s 200 I spent more on my show weather I spent 950 dollars on my show WEATHER

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn’t make this thread for you to rat on my decision and he’s only $200 bucks but he is still a buck right now so obviously he’s gonna be pricey

·
Registered
129 Posts
OK, so I'm not trying to be the spelling police or be snarky at all. But, if you are showing castrated goats, you should know that they are called WETHERS, not WEATHERS. At least, they are in the US. I don't know where you live, but I guess they could be called weathers where you are, although I've never seen or heard of it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It’s fine I don’t really think it matters honestly how it’s spelled it sounds the exact same and I’m in Texas so yeah it’s spelt wethers I just spell it weathers half the time

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, so I'm not trying to be the spelling police or be snarky at all. But, if you are showing castrated goats, you should know that they are called WETHERS, not WEATHERS. At least, they are in the US. I don't know where you live, but I guess they could be called weathers where you are, although I've never seen or heard of it.
But thanks anyway

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,472 Posts
I didn’t make this thread for you to rat on my decision and he’s only $200 bucks but he is still a buck right now so obviously he’s gonna be pricey
So, you want to buy a buck goat, have the Vet castrate him and somehow he's gonna be pricey. You mean he will increase in value? If your other goats don't get along with your lonely goat, why will the new addition get along better?
I don't see the solution. What does the Vet charge to castrate goats?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts