Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Sorry, my original post did not post??? Seems to happen quite a bit lately. Anywho, I am one who is considering a purchase with Harvest Right and I have been quite disturbed by your post. You seem to be knowledgeable (more so than I am) about the process and the problems you are having and I appreciate your hones opinion. Certainly your episode has given me pause. I would think that any company worth its salt would go where ever needed to make the customer experience a good one even when the product is faulty. Apparently this company is not aware of how fast bad news can travel! Thanks again....I shall be following your journey for customer service. Sis
Hi Sis,

When the Harvest Right freeze dryer actually worked, we were thrilled with the ability to preserve our food. There are some other technical issues that they need to work out. It could be a great product if real customer support was there to take care of you. I'm still investigating and looking for others that have been burned by Harvest Right.

I've decided to put up a website, www.harvestrightsucks.com, in order to have a central place to post my and others trouble with them. I really hate that it came to this, I'm not a mean or vindictive man. But justice is important to me and since it has been 7 months of hassel, I think it is now appropriate so other people don't get ripped off.

Blessings to you Sisterpine,

Larry

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had issues with my Harvest Right machine and communications with the company. It's not the easiest machine to use when you get errors and try to troubleshoot those errors. Their hours of support are terrible for people who work full time. I wanted a machine that I didn't have to babysit for 24-36 hours... It can take many hours to get an error and then you have to start over. The people at the company forget things you tell them and tell you that your machine works when it doesn't. I wasn't impressed! I wish I never "met" the machine!

·
Registered
1 Posts
(I posted this response in another group and then realized I should start my own thread. sorry...nubie here...)

I am regretting that I ever purchased a Harvest Right. Our has not worked properly from about 3 weeks after we bought it. Our experience with customer service has been dreadful and is turning into a nightmare! I don't want to elaborate the whole story here but since June of 2015 we have only been able to complete about 50 batches running the dryer every day.

After months of diagnosing by email and phone and trying new parts, it looks like we bought a lemon. I would be OK with that if the company would replace the freeze dryer. It looked like we had an agreement to get a new one but when the replacement arrived it was a very old, used, dirty unit. I have tried appealing to Harvest Right but they are very difficult to work with and fail to see my point of view.

Here is a simple question that expresses our point of view: If you bought a new car that started having problems a few weeks after you bought it, and for months the manufacturer tried many things to fix it but could not, then they agree to replace the car but send you a model that is a few years older, dirty, with lots of use and miles, would you accept that?

I wish I had something good to say about their customer service but it has been awful. They have tried several times to weasel out of their responsibility. It pains me that I need to warn others about Harvest Right but I now feel it's the right thing for me to do. Buyer Beware.

Otherwise, it's a great day!

Larry
Hi Larry,

I agree with you on Buyer Beware of Harvest Right. I also highly regret purchasing a Harvest Right freeze drier. Our first one arrived more than 4 weeks after the order had been placed. What a shock we had when we opened the undamaged box to find a damaged machine inside. The whole top right corner had been crushed. Harvest Right claims it was damaged in shipping, but they could not explain how that happened when the shipping container (box) was not damaged. They tried to get us to use the damaged machine anyway - by offering a $500 credit on our card, not advising us at all that in even trying to use the machine we would have voided the warrantee and would have been stuck with a damaged machine. The next customer rep we spoke to said that putting a credit on a card is not possible and anyway he had no idea who would have made us that offer. He then offered some free oxygen absorbers. We feared using it because we did not know what might be wrong on the inside and if it might quit working or might present a hazard. I also felt strongly that for the price I had paid, that a fully functional undamaged machine was simply to be expected.

So after much arguing, they sent along a replacement quickly enough. They did send an inspector to determine the extent of the damage, but this only so they could fight with th shipper over who would be responsible for the damage. We asked for copies of the inspector's report but were denied (e, multiple requests were ignored).

After hours (20) of trouble shooting the replacement machine, it never could achieve a vacuum. The pump also sprayed and dripped hot oil. Once when the machine was cooling (and therefore quiet enough to actually hear anything - we had given up trying to keep it in the kitchen - although I wonder about all the nice videos that show it being used in a kitchen) - we heard the hose hissing and realised it did not fit properly. The failed cycles lasted 10-15 hours so it took ages to find out, as we finally did, that the hose sent with the machine - to connect the pump to the machine, was actually the wrong hose. By that time, the pump had run really hot for hours and we feared it had suffered internal damage. Harvest Right customer service did not take our concerns seriously and diagnosed the pump from their offices as being "fine", although they did offer to extend the warrantee, we never received the confirmation on that. Once the correct pump host had been connected, it was able to achieve a vacuum and ran for another 12 hours before coming up with another error. This time, tech service decided that there must be a cable inside the machine that had been installed incorrectly. This really got us to wondering what else could be wrong with the machine. I mean, paying almost $4000, one would expect it to show up at the very least properly assembled. Interactions with customer service had been so disappointing at this point that we began to wonder if we'd ever get a functioning machine - I mean, if they could not remember to answer an email, or would forgot in between email exchanges what had been said or promised, it really eroded our confidence in the whole company.

At this point our customer service rep asked us again what was wrong with the machine (having been told already several times, he apparently could not remember) and we asked to speak with management. It took days for management to respond and their response was astounding "our rep tells me your machine is working perfectly and we can't figure out what your problem is because we have thousands of happy customers". This was quite a contradiction, since the rep had told us 2 days before that they had 73 happy customers.

We completely lost confidence in the company and asked simply to send the machine back for a refund. A few more days of discussing back and forth and we were granted the refund for this machine that never actually worked. Yet they insisted we pay the shipping. This we could not stomach, as we felt having been sent two non-functional machines and it now being almost 3 months since I'd paid in advance for what I had been told by the customer rep was an "easy to use and fun" machine. This discussion lasted for quite a while during which management then ignored us and left us to discuss with the rep. We finally filed a complaint at the BBB, and this is what got them moving. Although the intimidation grew - now they threatened to refuse us any refund at all until we removed the BBB complaint and they insisted that nothing was wrong with the machine at all (forgetting about the cable that they themselves claimed had to be repaired). The manager also told us that using these machines comes with a "learning curve", as described in their "documentation" and that we should have expected a bit of a bump along the way to getting it to work. What?! for $4000 I should expect bumps along the way? The advertising and videos do not mention any "learning curve" i.e. "debugging and reassembling the machine until it works".

And then promised to send us a "brand new" machine as a special consideration just for us.This came as a surprise - had we not already paid to have a brand new machine sent to us? Why now would we be offered a brand new one? What in fact had the others been?

When we declined removing our complaint, they finally gave in, and after another 2 weeks of discussing, they finally arranged to have the broken machine picked up. The refund check arrived late (promised shipment by fedex was delayed by what they said was "weather" although when we called fedex, fedex said they didn't even have any weather issues in any area along the delivery route. A few days later the check finally arrived. We were so glad to see that machine leave our house. We wonder if they'll be sending the never-functioning machine to someone else.

It was interesting to see their response to the BBB claim in which they suddenly had "tens of thousands" of happy customers and that if this one unhappy customer (us) would simply have been willing to "cooperate" and "move forward and use the machine" all would have been fine. They did not acknowledge that the machine never did actually function properly. We had to submit a correction to that response.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was thoroughly impressed with my new freeze dryer UNTIL customer service assistance was necessary in an effort to replace a dysfunctional part! In summary, the communication was extremely inconsistent, relied heavily upon customer follow-up/prompting and lacked a true sense of credibility. The "hot potato" run-around perpetuated by the frat house bevvy of "representatives" was astonishing, resulting in a sour experience with the company.

Bottom line, the freeze dryer is magnificent, however the CS is atrocious!! Hopefully a competitor will emerge to force an increased customer appreciation at HarvestWrong.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Email exchange with Harvestright:

I have phoned and spoke with various representatives (Jared, Cody, Colby, etc.) consecutively for the past four days, requesting a tracking number for the replacement vacuum pump.

Having received no reply, erroneous tracking information and failed assurance that I would "receive the information via email," the level of customer service demonstrated has been abysmal.

I anticipate receiving the correct tracking information for the replacement vacuum pump today, 26 May 2017, as my business has been directly impacted by the promise that "it will cross the other vacuum pump in the mail"- Colby Turner, 22 May 2017.

If I do not receive the information, as promised by the aforementioned representatives, I will file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and move forward with legally rectifying the situation.

Having been truly excited about my freeze dryer in the past, I am very disappointed with the customer care "run around" exhibited.

Madinah Slaise, MSN, RN-BC
Captain, US Air Force

I am floored by the total disregard of basic customer appreciation demonstrated by Harvestright.

·
Registered
2 Posts
(I posted this response in another group and then realized I should start my own thread. sorry...nubie here...)

I am regretting that I ever purchased a Harvest Right. Our has not worked properly from about 3 weeks after we bought it. Our experience with customer service has been dreadful and is turning into a nightmare! I don't want to elaborate the whole story here but since June of 2015 we have only been able to complete about 50 batches running the dryer every day.

After months of diagnosing by email and phone and trying new parts, it looks like we bought a lemon. I would be OK with that if the company would replace the freeze dryer. It looked like we had an agreement to get a new one but when the replacement arrived it was a very old, used, dirty unit. I have tried appealing to Harvest Right but they are very difficult to work with and fail to see my point of view.

Here is a simple question that expresses our point of view: If you bought a new car that started having problems a few weeks after you bought it, and for months the manufacturer tried many things to fix it but could not, then they agree to replace the car but send you a model that is a few years older, dirty, with lots of use and miles, would you accept that?

I wish I had something good to say about their customer service but it has been awful. They have tried several times to weasel out of their responsibility. It pains me that I need to warn others about Harvest Right but I now feel it's the right thing for me to do. Buyer Beware.

Larry

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one getting ripped off and the maximum run around by these people.

I bought a "new" harvest right and it came and the box was perfectly intact also. After the driver left, we took it out of the box only to see, after looking closely, that the frame was bent. That was on Friday night, so on Monday, when we called, we were told that since the driver had gotten away with no damage report, there was nothing they could do, because that was the deal with the freight company they had. Any damage had to be reported before the driver left or the customer stood the loss.

Finally, after much arguing, they send a new top panel and a side panel, (for the wrong side). We were expected to make the repairs ourselves. Not a great beginning after spending well over $2,000 and receiving damaged goods.

The noise is horrific and the time it takes is beyond long. But I liked the food and the way it reconstitutes, so I moved the unit to a "storage" bedroom. It worked for a couple of weeks, during which time I lost more sleep than I can count due to my concern about the unit spraying oil all over my house when it shifted to vacuum. Each time it made the shift, I was awake and there. I had bought 2 gallons of oil, and filtered and added new oil as necessary.

I estimate I was able to run about 6 batches of food before I noticed oil on my floor while the vacuum was running. It was dripping from the fully closed drain. I called Harvest Right and they were willing to ship another oil diaster to me. I Had learned about the oil free vacuum pumps by that time and asked about one of those.

I was told they would have some coming in in about 2 weeks, and tried to pay for one then. Cody, (ever unhelpful), told me he would call me and get one headed my way when they arrived. I called repeatedly every couple of days and he told me repeatedly that they hadn't come in yet. I called last week and they came in and went out ALL of them. I wasn't even given a chance to buy one for a MERE $1,300, on top of the the over $2.000 I'd already spent.

Now, Matt tells me at first the new batch will be in the first part of May, then later in the SAME conversation, the middle of May and yet later in the SAME conversation, the end of May.

Just to hold my place to get one of the oil free, I've spent over an additional $1,000 and counting, and haven't had a freeze dryer for over 6 weeks, used the one I have only about 6 times, and all I have for about $3,500 is a giant anchor in my spare bedroom. I'm feeling like a GIANT fool.

I told Matt they need to buy some integrity since they obviously don't have a shred of any. I also told him the more they continue to operate this way, the sooner someone with some integrity will open shop and put them out of business.

I will update if I ever get anything for my additional $1,300 and how the "all new" oil free pump works, if it does.

Thank you so much for starting this post. The only thing they seem good at is eliminating any complaints from the net.

·
Dallas
13,917 Posts
That would be simple. Regretably, we were driving through Salt Lake and stopped to make the purchase and paid in cash.

Larry
Too late now but thats why I always use a credit card for major purchases - I learned the hard way too once.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Sis,

When the Harvest Right freeze dryer actually worked, we were thrilled with the ability to preserve our food. There are some other technical issues that they need to work out. It could be a great product if real customer support was there to take care of you. I'm still investigating and looking for others that have been burned by Harvest Right.

I've decided to put up a website, www.harvestrightsucks.com, in order to have a central place to post my and others trouble with them. I really hate that it came to this, I'm not a mean or vindictive man. But justice is important to me and since it has been 7 months of hassel, I think it is now appropriate so other people don't get ripped off.

Larry
We have had an analog machine for several years with very little trouble until we bought an oil free vacuum pump. The machine would draw a vacuum but had no heat to dry the food. I contacted the company and they sent a pigtail connector to connect from the circuit board to the heater trays. Nope, this didn’t work out. Then I sent the tray in and they sent a new tray. Still didn’t work. I kept asking if this was a common problem with the circuit board. One person would say maybe and another said they would get a supervisor to talk to me. Finally I got to talk with Nate, an alleged supervisor who told me that the analog units were breaking down and they had no way to convert them to digital yet. I asked about converting the machine to digital and he suggested I buy a new machine! No, I want the original machine fixed. I was told that they “might” have a conversion kit in “several months”... after that, no returned calls. I am going to file a complaint with the BBB, Utah Attorney General and possibly the FTC. They knowingly upgraded to digital and made the choice not to support the analog units hoping to sell more machines. Our machine has been down for 6 months. Disgraceful!

·
Registered
6 Posts

Larry
I do have an update. After complaining to BBB, I received a call from Dan at Harvest Right. He seems to be the only one who has credibility. Anyway, we are working on a solution and the company is shipping out a new vacuum pump. He is now aware of how bad the customer service has been and hopefully things will improve. In the meantime, I am keeping the BBB file open until all is resolved.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The new oil free pump was received and so far so good! It appears that the only way to get the attention of customer service is to complain to BBB. I was also “assured” that customer service will improve.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your lack of details really raises red flags for me. Plus the fact that you modified it. It's like you took an engine apart, put it back together in a different way and when it stopped working you blame the company for making a crap engine. They probably made a perfectly fine engine, but you don't really know because you changed what they did to something of your own. Yeah, this one is one you. I can tell you are having a hard time accepting personal responsibility on this, but they were more than generous giving you a refurbished unit (or engine...).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your lack of details really raises red flags for me. Plus the fact that you modified it. It's like you took an engine apart, put it back together in a different way and when it stopped working you blame the company for making a crap engine. They probably made a perfectly fine engine, but you don't really know because you changed what they did to something of your own. Yeah, this one is one you. I can tell you are having a hard time accepting personal responsibility on this, but they were more than generous giving you a refurbished unit (or engine...).
A “perfectly fine machine” shouldn’t require a complaint to the BBB to get customer service to act. After CS finally took care of our pump and heater problem, the machine has worked fine. Machine good, customer service bad..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Sis,

Larry
I bouhht the biggest stainless beast they had. Fought it for 4 years. Terrible customer service. Found out they had a bunch of bad vacuum pumps. Had to pay FULL price for a replacement. After a dozen phone calls and a month of waiting. They send the wrong one. I called 5 times today tryyto get someone that knows what they’re doing. My rep “Steve” doesn't follow through with anything. Worse customer service ever. I have $6000 tied up if a piece of useless junk. And a pantry full of spoiling food I can’t package. Save your money. Harvest Right SUCKS

·
Registered
3 Posts
You are the rare exception. I am a very active member on three harvest right groups on facebook as well as on a chef forum. A small handful of people have experienced problems, but you are the first who is still unhappy. I know of one other person who got a lemon machine but was shipped a brand new replacement. I can't speak for harvest right but I'm curious who you spoke with up there?
Hello! My harvest right is brand new. I had some issues with power failures, but have it plugged into its own breaker outlet now. I haven't been able to test if this has solved the problem because the screen is frozen telling me to change the oil. I have changed the oil, but the unit doesn't seem to recognize this and still is frozen on 'change oil' screen. I have unplugged everything and rebooted, and have also tried re-calibration trick and it won't recalibrate anymore either. Have you seen this issue before? I would love to hear your feedback.

·
Registered
141 Posts
To be fair, there are many problems talked of on the sites.

Though HarvestRight doesn't build them, an example would be that several problems appear with pumps. Back to that "to be fair" thing, some problems are simple fixes. Ones such as, pulling the check valve bearing and replacing it with filter material to stop moisture misting, but which seems to be a problem only for a few. There is moving the pump lower than the FD (I forget what problem that was)

Other problems, like a recent one, is the relay someone had trouble with, which, generally, is not a consumer level repair.

There are things that should be stated right up front in the manual. Especially if it's a PDF version, so can be easily edited. A notice to owners (on the owners to keep emails up to date).

An example of things that should be explained up front would be, keeping the drain hose out of the drain bucket so the vacuum does not cause cruddy to be sucked back into the unit.

Mine hasn't arrived yet and I haven't made it through the manual, so I don't know how extensive the trouble shooting section, or up front directions to avoid trouble shooting, are. For example, the common, but simple to cure, issue of changing the serial number.

What "I" am doing is, collecting such information and dumping it into a manual, which will also contain shared experiences of FD any and everything under the sun [and not, like shrooms].

In the end, and even before getting a FD [in a few weeks], all the info on room temp, oil changes and filtering suggests these critters are not for those unwilling to put a lot of work into what, very often, is the ultimate food storage. You won't be able to drive it to QuckLube and have the oil changed. You will need an environment friendly to its operation. You'll need counter space to work the product. You'll want to consider short cuts (pre-freezing, to speed up the process, AND to take load off specialty equipment.

It isn't like HARVESTRIGHT is a mega corporation with millions to spend on research and constant improvements. Add to that, from my time with the biggest "corporation" in the U.S. and several states (that is the U.S.), even brilliant engineers don't think of everything right up front.

As it is, I'm willing to be a little frustrated, from time to time, if I can enjoy the experiences more than 75% experience. On the other hand, I spent a little more money on a lemon back in the day. The dealer played games (the brakes pulsed and you couldn't turn a sharp corner or the engine would die (carb)), and I enjoyed making it pay dearly for it, as well as eating the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found your forum searching for Harvest Right reviews. My own story is about a machine we bought in 2018. After 3 years of successfully running many loads through it, the condenser fan (heart of the refrigeration system) started to squeal. An email to customer support went unanswered for about two weeks. Meanwhile, a shot of oil temporarily relieved the squealing. when HR finally answered I told them things appear to be OK for now. After another week or so the fan locked up and the machine would shut down after 10 minutes. Again an email to customer support went unanswered for about 10 days. I finally called them directly and they had no clue as to the price of the fan. I got an email finally from the worker who originally answered the phone and she said she found out they don't sell the fan!!! Then I got a slew of emails from the tech dept offering "tech support" for $45. Looking on Amazon I finally found a large muffin-style fan that seems to work fine. Boy talk about a job getting the old one out and the new one in. It's working fine now again but I dread the day something else goes wrong with it. The customer support is virtually non-existent or at best "hit or miss" depending on what employee you happen to connect to. I'm still getting emails from them offering to sell new machines with a two-month or higher delay after a $1000 down payment. I question their honesty. You would think anything on the freeze dryer would be available for purchase. I suspect they purchase the refrigeration units assembled by another company and install them into the cabinets. I really like the machine but man what horrible customer service.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts