Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I posted this response in another group and then realized I should start my own thread. sorry...nubie here...)

I am regretting that I ever purchased a Harvest Right. Our has not worked properly from about 3 weeks after we bought it. Our experience with customer service has been dreadful and is turning into a nightmare! I don't want to elaborate the whole story here but since June of 2015 we have only been able to complete about 50 batches running the dryer every day.

After months of diagnosing by email and phone and trying new parts, it looks like we bought a lemon. I would be OK with that if the company would replace the freeze dryer. It looked like we had an agreement to get a new one but when the replacement arrived it was a very old, used, dirty unit. I have tried appealing to Harvest Right but they are very difficult to work with and fail to see my point of view.

Here is a simple question that expresses our point of view: If you bought a new car that started having problems a few weeks after you bought it, and for months the manufacturer tried many things to fix it but could not, then they agree to replace the car but send you a model that is a few years older, dirty, with lots of use and miles, would you accept that?

I wish I had something good to say about their customer service but it has been awful. They have tried several times to weasel out of their responsibility. It pains me that I need to warn others about Harvest Right but I now feel it's the right thing for me to do. Buyer Beware.

Otherwise, it's a great day!

Larry

·
Saltine American
7,370 Posts
(I posted this response in another group and then realized I should start my own thread. sorry...nubie here...)

I am regretting that I ever purchased a Harvest Right. Our has not worked properly from about 3 weeks after we bought it. Our experience with customer service has been dreadful and is turning into a nightmare! I don't want to elaborate the whole story here but since June of 2015 we have only been able to complete about 50 batches running the dryer every day.

After months of diagnosing by email and phone and trying new parts, it looks like we bought a lemon. I would be OK with that if the company would replace the freeze dryer. It looked like we had an agreement to get a new one but when the replacement arrived it was a very old, used, dirty unit. I have tried appealing to Harvest Right but they are very difficult to work with and fail to see my point of view.

Here is a simple question that expresses our point of view: If you bought a new car that started having problems a few weeks after you bought it, and for months the manufacturer tried many things to fix it but could not, then they agree to replace the car but send you a model that is a few years older, dirty, with lots of use and miles, would you accept that?

I wish I had something good to say about their customer service but it has been awful. They have tried several times to weasel out of their responsibility. It pains me that I need to warn others about Harvest Right but I now feel it's the right thing for me to do. Buyer Beware.

Otherwise, it's a great day!

Larry
If you bought it using a credit card, file a claim through them to get your money back.

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
You are the rare exception. I am a very active member on three harvest right groups on facebook as well as on a chef forum. A small handful of people have experienced problems, but you are the first who is still unhappy. I know of one other person who got a lemon machine but was shipped a brand new replacement. I can't speak for harvest right but I'm curious who you spoke with up there?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are the rare exception. I am a very active member on three harvest right groups on facebook as well as on a chef forum. A small handful of people have experienced problems, but you are the first who is still unhappy. I know of one other person who got a lemon machine but was shipped a brand new replacement. I can't speak for harvest right but I'm curious who you spoke with up there?
I thought someone would pipe in to tell me I am the only one, a very rare exception. :( Since Harvest Right is offering used machines for sale (if you call in), I wonder where they got all those? Actually I don't. They are problem machines that other people returned.

The "pro-harvest right" moderator on one Facebook page does not seem to want negative posts. For that reason, two other facebook Harvest Right pages have ben started. I have not spent any time there.

Since customer service will not take the time (and courtesy) to even sign their name in an email, it is hard to say who I am communicating with. I have a few names, Andrew, Matt, Quinton and emails from the manager like this:

On Oct 9, 2015, at 11:57 AM, Scott Neville <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Support Team,

Getting an email like this is never acceptable!
Please come and see me and let's get this resolved.

As you can see that was back in October. The problem is not resolved.

Harvest right does not have any of the old style freeze dryers, only the new touch screen models. That's why they sent a used one to replace my new freeze dryer.

They also do not have any front panels which I would need to return my FD in original condition since I made a modification to the panel.

Larry

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
I never said you were the only one. I said you are the rare exception. I know of a few people who have had issues, mostly small ones. And I know of one person who did have a lemon and got a new machine. But she had not modified hers as you did. I know normally if you make modifications to something, it can adversely affect the warrenty. And I know often when you return a defective appliance, you are sent a refurbished one. the FB group you are talking about is one I was kicked out of for asking the wrong questions. There are others, once where you are more free to discuss issues. Perhaps you could join one of those and get some help with your problem?

·
Registered
121 Posts
And you seriously titled this Buyer Beware of Harvest Right. You modified the front panel. Have you tried this on other appliances and then asked for a refund? You know like something you bought from Sears or Lowes. Give me a break! I put oil in a pump and then realized I had ordered the wrong size. Guess what, they would not take the pump back since I had poured the oil that came with it into it. I was a little miffed but I understand a company having to have a policy for returns. The fact that they even sent you a refurbished model after that speaks to the good character of the company. I imagine they sent you one from their factory that they have used. Not a reject from another customer. I am leaving this thread and won't look back as it has taken an unfortunate turn for the worst. I have nothing else to say to someone who seriously thinks they can modify the front panel, the control panel, and then demand a replacement. And then bash the company. Good Luck to you, you will need it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I could not agree more. if you choose to modify something, you sure can't expect the company to support it any longer.
Because I have some hope that their are people that don't want to remain ignorant, I will try to help you and hicker... and anyone else that may find this post.

Let me first give an example of why Harvest Right has no claim to reject their responsibility: imagine you buy a new car. You take it to a radio shop and have a hole drilled in the body to mount a CB antenna. They run wires and make electrical connections. Then, your transmission fails. The dealer says, "No warranty....you modified the car". Right away, and here's the part where I expect you to want understanding, you can say the CB install had nothing to do with the failure. The dealer then says, "Too bad....we wrote that into our warranty."

For this very reason, the US Congress passed a law that prohibits a manufacturer from trying to wiggle out of responsibility by writing such exceptions into a warranty.

The fact is, Harvest Right is responsible for the failed unit even if I drilled holes in the cabinet. If you have the zeal to learn, do some study. It not hard to find that I am telling you the truth.

One other thing, I have not asked for a refund as suggested. I simple want a new machine that works properly. That is what I paid for.

Hicker... I can't see how you are miffed. Is my first post not clear? I paid for a NEW Harvest Right Freeze Dryer that was defective. Why do you want me to accept a used one to replace a brand new unit? A brand new unit that did not work right should not be replaced with an old used unit. I'm an honest person...if I had used the unit for a long time and then had a failure, I would expect a repair or used unit.

Larry

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I never said you were the only one. I said you are the rare exception....
I know. I was being facetious because I knew someone would pipe in with the suggestion that my case was not valid because it is rare. I know...you did not say that either. The implication I drew was that I should not say such things about Harvest Right and the poor customer service I have with them. Thanks, Larry

·
hillbilly farmgirl
2,398 Posts
I would like to ask the OP, at what point did you modify the panel? Did you perform this modification before or after it stopped working correctly? Also, I understand that part of the function of these freeze dryers is a vaccum chamber. It seems to me that drilling holes in the unit would mess that up. But still, I would not mind seeing some pictures of the modification you made because I have honestly never even seen one of these freeze dryer units and I am curious as to whether it could be a vaccum issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would like to ask the OP, at what point did you modify the panel? Did you perform this modification before or after it stopped working correctly? Also, I understand that part of the function of these freeze dryers is a vaccum chamber. It seems to me that drilling holes in the unit would mess that up. But still, I would not mind seeing some pictures of the modification you made because I have honestly never even seen one of these freeze dryer units and I am curious as to whether it could be a vaccum issue.
Hi,

The front panel is just painted sheet metal. The chamber is a different part. The issue we have is the inability to pull a vacuum consistently. One day it would work, the next day it would not. After a few months of this, it has quit working at all. We tried a replacement pump, new gasket, new vacuum hose and many times tested and cleaned these items.

After a couple of months of the Harvest Right freeze dryer failing to complete cycles, and having poor customer service, I decided to install a timer and counter so I could tell what was happening. I have 35 years in electronics and mechanical systems so this was childs play for my abilities. The metering only samples voltages, nothing else.

The timer let me see how many hours the unit had been running. The counter counted how many times the dry cycle had started. These tools proved to be very helpful diagnosing problems. Later I added another timer to view how many minutes or hours the heaters were on.

In the first photo, you can see the results of a normal operation. The machine ran for 22.4 hours. The heater was on for 8 hours and had a total of 13 drying cycles. This is the way it should work.

In the next photo, notice that the machine ran for 91.9 hours and had never reached a deep enough vacuum to start the drying cycle. Without these displays, we had no idea about what was happening other than the freeze dryer would not work.

Thank you,

Larry

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Ok that's a bit more than just drilling holes. You had to tap into the electronics. And HR cant refurbish your machine and sell it without restoring things back like they were supposed to be. While I don't understand the reason HR didn't act faster, I do see why they sent you a refurbished machine instead of a new one, given the modifications you made.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Did the replacement they sent you work correctly?

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
I will add that I like your modifications. It would be nice to have a better idea what's happening. I close the door and start it. It counts down the freeze cycle and the final dry, but the main drying cycle I have no idea where in the cycle it is. It just does its thing and tells me when it's done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
... While I don't understand the reason HR didn't act faster, I do see why they sent you a refurbished machine instead of a new one, given the modifications you made.
Hi Barb....

Yes, I see how someone would conclude that....but there is more to the story.

When Harvest Right agreed to replace the defective freeze dryer, they told me that "when I get the new one", the simple text that led me to believe they would do the right thing, they agreed that I could remove the front panel from "NEW" one and swap it for the one I had modified. Then they would receive an unmodified unit back to repair and resale.

Because I received an old, heavily used, dirty, repaired unit, I did not swap the panel but once again inquired why I should accept a heavily worn machine that someone else had trouble with to replace my new machine.

I have been a business owner for over 35 years. Never could I imagine treating a customer the way Harvest Right has done to my wife and I. We have lost months of food storage, had to make many other plans for our harvest and the other foods we had purchased for freeze drying. So, I stick by my warning: BUYER BEWARE OF HARVEST RIGHT.

Larry

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will add that I like your modifications. It would be nice to have a better idea what's happening. I close the door and start it. It counts down the freeze cycle and the final dry, but the main drying cycle I have no idea where in the cycle it is. It just does its thing and tells me when it's done.
Hi Barb...

Yes, the meters have been a great benefit for both diagnostics and to monitor how different foods dry. For the few times the freeze dryer worked, it became a tool to let me know approximately when our batches would be complete.

If you are interested in these mods, after your unit is out of warranty, I can help with the details. Because they used .250 spade connectors, the meters can simply be plugged in. You could use a separate box to mount them in so no cabinet cutting would be necessary. That way, you can restore the unit back to factory state by removing the spade plugs.

Larry

·
Goshen Farm
7,271 Posts
Sorry, my original post did not post??? Seems to happen quite a bit lately. Anywho, I am one who is considering a purchase with Harvest Right and I have been quite disturbed by your post. You seem to be knowledgeable (more so than I am) about the process and the problems you are having and I appreciate your hones opinion. Certainly your episode has given me pause. I would think that any company worth its salt would go where ever needed to make the customer experience a good one even when the product is faulty. Apparently this company is not aware of how fast bad news can travel! Thanks again....I shall be following your journey for customer service. Sis

1 - 20 of 38 Posts