Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I stop in to my mechanic's shop for a yak this morning. He has a new two post hoist, replacing his old hoist which is shoved off to the side. It needs a new motor and control switch. Very nice I say about the new hoist, I'll give ya $200 for the old one. (kidding ----I assume he wants it as a storage hoist) Ok he sez, freaking out his hired help. "I can get you more than that!!" Yah says my mechanic but he got me a Chryco big block for my Challenger. I did too, neighbor was throwing it out and asked me to pick it up and toss in the scrap bin. Well I gave it to the mechanic knowing he likes Mopar, simple as that. Bread cast unto the water they say!!! So I'll be looking for instalation advice in a few weeks! Been wanting a hoist for over 10 years!

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
Ross, great luck! You will truly enjoy the hoist and each time you use it you will question how you ever got along without one. The motor is easy to come by and the control is an off the shelf item. The lifts are simple to install and will not take very much time. If you question the thickness and the integrity of the concrete weld some extensions to the floor plates prior to mounting the uprights. My lift is wider between the posts than the standard units but it is a nice feature as I can get the car/truck doors open easily. You may do some research and determine whether you could modify your lift to get a few additional inches between the posts as the effort would be worthwhile. My experience is only with the installation of my single unit but if I can assist let me know. You will need a good hammer drill for the concrete and drill completely through the concrete, not a blind hole.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I'll give you $250 for it but you have to deliver it!

Try Surplus Center for a decent motor if you cant find one locally, should not be all that difficult, and they probably have a control which would fit as well.

William
Central Idaho [in other words, a wee bit farther than $50 for delivery would go eh?]

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
$200? That is less than scrap value. Good deal, congrats. I have wanted one for years, too.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Important to remember this was a returned favour in part. He threw in a spare motor and control box when we picked it up this morning. I'll get a picture posted ASAP

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
I guess this is an above ground 2 post hydraulic lift. Obviously be careful as what goes up must come down and any problems with a lift usually show up when the vehicle is over your head. To mount it you will need a flat concrete surface at least 4-5" thick. Set the lift up where you want it and drill the holes with a hammer drill. Then use the right size concrete wedge anchors and tighten it all down after leveling. be sure the wedge anchors tighten and recheck them after use.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup I have a good concrete floor in my "shop" which is pretty old and ugly but dry and has power. Needs heat! :) It's a screw hoist with not much wear. Is there a front and back to these things? I can ask the fellow I got it from of course, and yeah a picture would help..... I'm on the old computer so things are notablely slow!

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Hahahaha, Bearfoot.

Ross, so let me get this straight. You bring him a block that some guy was gonna THROW OUT, and so he sells you a hoist with spare motor and all for $200?

Boys, I just ain't livin' right.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Boys, I just ain't livin' right.
I dunno you sound like a fine upstanding person to me. Thinking about it I also service his oil furnaces, and found two booby traps where the last guy rigged them to fail so he could walk in and "fix" them.............. I just replaced the rigged parts and told him and showed him. Honesty doesn't always come with a dividend but it always pays.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
OK Ross, I'll relent. It is apparent you have a longstanding relationship with this guy that may even be considered a close friendship. You have again and again proven you care about him, remember his concerns, and try to help him with them. That does go a long way, and I am sure that he is trying to tell you by his near-gift to you that he appreciates you greatly.

It's just that men show appreciation with beer and material things. Women generally just hug. LOLOLOL.

I hope I can be as good a friend to others as you have shown in your example.

:clap: :bow: :clap: :bow:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
hey congrats! great score! sounds like he was just returning a favor!

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Exactly its a good to be able to help out each other. (Jim if others drift a thread to politics I'll steer some towards that ol "Be Nice to each other" thing! :) ) Sure he's returning a favour or two, but I treat all my customers the same, friend or stranger. I just gave away a Honda powered air compressor to another fellow. It needs work and some parts but is basically complete. They sell new for a grand or so, this one was way more potential than perfect. I don't think I've ever gotten any "thing" from him but he helped me weld on body panels to my Jeep way back when and being a framer he needs the compressor more than I will. (just bought a little Dewalt Emglo for all the portable air power I'll need) There's a pretty big circle of friends and acquittance's around here that swaps stuff or services very cheap or free.
It's interesting nobody mentioned the curse of owning a hoist, in that your shop becomes a little too popular. :) We'll manage I'm sure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.