Buy Carla's Encyclopedia for Your Children

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ken Scharabok, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I propose a fitting tribute to Carla Emery would be to purchase a copy of her Encyclopedia of Country Living for each of your children from her web site. If older than say 25, give it to them this Christmas. If younger, wait until their are 25 and give it to them as a birthday or Christmas present. At 25 they are likely to appreciate the wisdom in it more.

She, of course, had a number of other homesteading-related books on her website as well.

I believe her caretaker is set up to fulfill orders in her absence.

2. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

I have the two latest...which she gave to me b/c of the testing site. I was going to give one away for a xmas gift and keep the one she signed. I think I'll keep it now and later give to my son. I might just buy a couple for my nephews who are older.

3. cheryl-tx

cheryl-tx Well-Known Member

4. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

Good idea Ken.
    I wonder if the much anticipated 10th Edition will be finished?

5. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

Who was Carla Emery and what is her claim to fame?
    Thanks.

6. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

It's strange but I have had her book for many years while homesteading but never really "got into it" until tonight. Hubby and I were reading it at the table during dinner. I "cut my teeth" into homesteading on Country Women by Jeanne Tetrault and Sherry Thomas among many other good books too. I do believe I will buy my "city daughter" a copy. You never know where life may take her and Carla might just help her out in years to come. Who would have ever thought that I would end up raising goats and growing a garden that feeds us for years when we were "city slickers". You just never know..do we !! You better believe I will be up late tonight reading all she had to say for these so many years.

7. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Ken post Carla's web site so all can go to it to order.

Kenneth in NC

8. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Yes-----Please give us the link to her website.

9. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

There used to be CD copies of the webcast Carla and Don used to have several years ago that were available on the website, but I don't see them there now. I have three copies of different editions of her book, but I would surely like to start collecting those CDs! Wonder if they'll be made available again?!

The website address is: www.carlaemery.com

MaryNY

10. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

Excellent idea! I had my folks on the hunt for a used copy but they bought me a new copy for Xmas which Carla signed just this past June. I'd be curious to find out if there is a 10th edition but the 9th will be just fine. The idea of keeping them till the kids are older works for me. I have other items for them and will add the books to my "stash".

11. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

I have an older edition that my forum friend Aunt Jenny sent me several years ago; then the 9th edition that Carla sent me for being on the testing forum.

After I learned Carla had passed away I had to tell my 33 year old daughter that I need the newer edition back temporarily so that I can pull a couple of quotes to write an article on Carla again, this time about her passing.

Ken's idea is a great one! Somebody could totally exist on a homestead just using the info that Carla included in her book....and the personal touch and personal information just made it even more special.

Buy copies for your children and grandchildren!

12. Melissa

Melissa member

13. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I've got one ordered------great idea, Ken.

14. goatgirl2

goatgirl2 Active Member

Great idea, Ken. I, too, had heard of her for eons but never got her book until this year, actually, but it is now one I refer to first. Reading through her book is like opening a box full of old letters from a friend. debra in nm

15. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

My husband has one of the first editions. I was amazed to read how she took her kids all over America taking orders for her book. What guts!

I'm so glad that this final edition was completed before her departure. I've ordered it and I'm sure it is a fine testament to her life.

16. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

The previous posts and links answered my questions about this lady.
    Thank you all for your info. Sounds like I have missed someone special.
    Chas