Buy Animals

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Bercado, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Bercado

Bercado Well-Known Member

Does anyone know a good website for finding animals for sale? I'm looking for options for German Shephards, red holstine, hogs, horses, etc.

2. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I would not buy a GSD (German Shepherd Dog) from an auction or website. You can browse the web to find a breeder. A reputable breeder will have had the hips checked (x-rayed) on both sire and dam. They will not have a hundred dogs and will need references from you.

3. Kshobbit

Kshobbit Well-Known Member

Are you serious?

4. Bercado

There are websites for buying and selling lots of stuff. Craigslist does not allow animals, in general. I am expecting that there is some big website where all the people flock to where they advertise animals. That would make sense...competition in proximity makes for better competition. I'm looking for honest people in my area. I'm looking for a German Shepherd and Red Holstein in particular. ...I don't see what's odd about that. I grew up on a dairy farm; I know about animals. Where are they being advertised??? Is there like a Cletus’ List for farm animals?

5. ||Downhome||

||Downhome|| Born in the wrong Century

bestfarmbuys.com

as far as GSD's look for the WGSD you should not have to worry about hip issues.
    besides they are a super sharp looking dog! I always get lots of compliments on mine.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  6. Bercado

I guess I should have specified that I am not looking for a site that sells everything; rather, I was wanting a site where individuals advertise their animals.

7. ||Downhome||

thats what best farm buys is, kinda like craigslist for the farm folk

8. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Check the "Farm & Garden" section of Craigslist. They do sell livestock. Also, try rollanet.org

Good Luck!

9. SFM in KY

SFM in KY Well-Known Member Supporter

For horses there are a number of classified ad sites. Try DreamHorse, equine.com, EquineNow, Horse Clicks. If you type in "classified horse ads" on Google it will give you a list.

I do see cattle, sheep and goats advertised in the farm and garden section of Craigs List.

I don't know of any good sites for pets ... dogs, cats, etc. ... the few people I know who breed dogs also show and usually advertise through the AKC website or breed specific sites.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  10. ||Downhome||

11. houndlover

houndlover Well-Known Member

Craigslist doesn't allow the sale of pets, just a small rehoming fee. They absolutely allow the legal sale of animals on the farm and garden section.

12. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

check Hoobly.com

You can browse by state and/or nearest city

13. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

14. Kwings

Kwings Well-Known Member Supporter

I used craigslist to get my rabbits and sometimes you can find things really cheap or free there, also try local online classifieds, and the newspaper online classifieds if yours has one.

15. mekasmom

mekasmom Well-Known Member Supporter

Try Ebay Classifieds. They sell everything from pets to livestock, and you can buy local. Be careful in the pet section. There are lots of rescues pretending to be breeders, and some of the breeders are not really "good" breeders. You have to be careful about the quality of the animals.
    http://www.ebayclassifieds.com/

16. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Ask at the feed store. Find local breeders. Keep in mind that animals going to auction are culls, and just by being run through the pens and the ring at the auction sale, they've been exposed to more germs than a pathology lab.

IF you bring something home from auction, be sure to quarantine it and watch it carefully for a month or so.

17. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Like Windy, I'd suggest you attend your local livestock auction.

18. Kshobbit

Kshobbit Well-Known Member

The Big Nickel is a good sales newspaper not sure if it is available in northern Missouri. It is all around the Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas and Oklahoma 4 state border area

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  19. bluemoonluck

bluemoonluck Crazy Dog Lady Supporter

IME Hoobly is the online puppy mill forum.

If you want a good German Shepherd, go to www.gsdca.org for a breeder referral. This is the official Parent Club for the AKC, their breeders agree to abide by a code of ethics and breed only health-tested dogs.

Now if you want a GSD that is cheap and you can get him tomorrow, by all means go to Hoobly.....but start saving for the vet bills that you'll acrrue when his hips/elbows go now:stars:

20. DWH Farm

DWH Farm Well-Known Member

Can't tell you about the dogs, but we raise hogs, cattle and dairy goats. When I have stock for sale (or am looking) I list on CL (check the Farm and Garden section), Kijiji and freefarmclassifieds. The hogs that we raise are a rare heritage breed so I list them on the ALBC website. I dont know where you are in MO, but as someone else mentioned "the Big Nickel" as well as "star shopper" have online classifieds. As a rule I do not purchase from auctions.