Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a couple of jackets at a thrift store today. I've never been a thrift store shopper but mainly because I don't have a ton of patience to sort through the racks of stuff unsure of what I'm looking for but now that I have things in mind, I'm liking it more.

I got the jackets home and was about to throw them in the wash when I saw one was missing several buttons. Not a big deal because I can replace them now, but when TSHTF what will happen ? Along the same lines, I bought a backpack from a surplus place over the weekend and a plastic fastener is also broken. Again - easy enough fix now, but I'm thinking I need to be stocking up on buttons, needles and thread !!

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
i started building a craft/sewing type box back in winter. i have included bachelor buttons and snaps.got a leather hole punch the other day too....gotta get a speedy stitch thing too.

i already used the snap maker thing to add snap closer of my foraging haversack.

dang money keeps running out though...lol

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
I bought a couple of jackets at a thrift store today. I've never been a thrift store shopper but mainly because I don't have a ton of patience to sort through the racks of stuff unsure of what I'm looking for but now that I have things in mind, I'm liking it more.

I got the jackets home and was about to throw them in the wash when I saw one was missing several buttons. Not a big deal because I can replace them now, but when TSHTF what will happen ? Along the same lines, I bought a backpack from a surplus place over the weekend and a plastic fastener is also broken. Again - easy enough fix now, but I'm thinking I need to be stocking up on buttons, needles and thread !!
Needles, sure, but I can whittle you a button in about 30 seconds from an oak branch.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well what you reckon. A quick google search proved you right. And pretty easy it seems. Along those lines, I believe I've seen needles made from bird bones. Guess I need to add a Pinterest board, huh ??? ;)

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Well what you reckon. A quick google search proved you right. And pretty easy it seems. Along those lines, I believe I've seen needles made from bird bones. Guess I need to add a Pinterest board, huh ??? ;)
Are you surprised that I'm right or that you can actually whittle buttons? :)

In a pinch, use small animal bones for needles, but by the time you get to that point you'll be using small strips of leather for thread.

At the end, you'll have something that probably looks better and is a whole lot sturdier than anything you could have stockpiled.

·
Registered
423 Posts

In a pinch, use small animal bones for needles, but by the time you get to that point you'll be using small strips of leather for thread.

At the end, you'll have something that probably looks better and is a whole lot sturdier than anything you could have stockpiled.
Making leather, rawhide, buckskin, and tanning hides was the first thing I taught my kids after they learned to deer hunt..

Reactions: PrettyPaisley

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Oh I'm definitely not surprised you're right ! ;)

I don't know how to whittle but I had never considered wooden buttons. I was thinking metal and planned to cut all the buttons off any unused clothing before it heads out to the donation center.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts

I don't know how to whittle but I had never considered wooden buttons. I was thinking metal and planned to cut all the buttons off any unused clothing before it heads out to the donation center.
The donation center is for serviceable clothing, not trash. Don't deliberately damage clothing you're sending them.

For a couple dollars you can buy a couple of hundred buttons and throw them in a jar.

When SHTF comes, you can whittle very nice buttons out of wood or bone without much effort. It'll give us all something to do once the S&EP forum is a distant memory.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts

Why would you do that? What good is the clothing with buttons and zippers missing to anyone else? When I was little we had a rag man that came by the house once a month.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
I've also got a quart jar of assorted buttons my grandmother had when she died. I keep the extra buttons that sometimes come with new clothes, and I also bought some "bachelor's buttons" for jeans (thanks to someone here on S&EP who suggested them).

I'm not skilled at sewing clothes, but I do a great job repairing seams, hems, zippers, buttons and tears.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The clothes I bought didn't have buttons in them !!!! I'm not feeling slighted...perhaps they needed the buttons and could only donate the cloth? I didn't say I was going to take what the moths picked through ... Just going to take the buttons I want off the clothes I spent my money on. Geez. If they don't want the donation then they are welcome to refuse it.

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
In a pinch, you can take a small stone & cover it with the cloth where the button would go. Then wrap a string around the cloth covered "button".

If you need a closure & don't have a button hole, take the cloth on the other side of the opening opposite where your stone "button" is going, & cover the stone "button" with cloth from both sides of the opening before winding string around it. :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
You can make loop closures for buttons if you don't have a way to do buttonholes.
Crochet hook + yarn or thread and make a chain, sew the loops opposite the buttons.
Or if you're into re-enacting, straight pins for closing dress fronts, 'cept that gets in the way painfully when doing active jobs like milking, shearing, or chopping brush.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts