Butternuts are falling!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Argent Farms, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Argent Farms

Argent Farms Pig farmer

Picked up a bushel from the ground on saturday morning and finally got the last of them hulled yesterday afternoon, they are now drying on my garage floor. Do they have to dry out as long as walnuts do? I am guessing that they do.

Here's a picture ,along with the old corn sheller I use to hull them.[​IMG]

2. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

3. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

You must not have any squirrels!! :flame: Every year, they take almost every butternut off our two trees. We keep trapping them but more just show up. Squirrels are nothing but rats with fuzzy tails!! Yes, I believe they do need to dry just like walnuts.

4. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

ok, i have asked this twice or more before. maybe when i ask it 5 or 6 more times, it will become clear, lol. should the nuts have green and tight hulls when shelled or loose black gooey ones? should the nuts be dried with or without hulls?

please give as much detail as possible...thanks. :)

5. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I've never seen these before. Are they similar to another nut I might know?

6. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

hickory

7. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

They are certainly not like a hickory! They are closely related to black walnuts and young trees of both are difficult to tell apart. Butternuts are Juglans cinera while black walnuts are Juglans nigra. Both have a solid green hull surrounding the nut. That hull normally will only come off by rotting. If one thinks that the meat of a walnut is difficult to get out of the shell, butternuts are twice as difficult. Being elongated, the meats are thin and generally come out in small pieces. But, definitely worth the effort!

Martin

8. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I second that definitely worth the effort I think Butternuts are less common or atleats they are in My familes part of KY They like to grow near water along creeks.

9. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Thanks Martin. That helps. Sounds like something I wish I could grow here.

10. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Made me wonder why some here didn't know what they were as I assumed that they grew wherever walnuts grew. Checked one of my reference books and the natural area is smaller. Also, butternuts are supposedly known as white walnuts. Here, they are just another weed in my gardens as the squirrels keep insisting that I need one to go along with my 40-year old walnut!

Martin

11. Argent Farms

Argent Farms Pig farmer

MELOC, the hulls should be removed as soon as the nuts hit the ground, otherwise the "black, gooey" hulls can stain and flavor the nuts inside. After hulling you wash them off and set them to dry.

The whole nut, minus the green hull, is dried for about a month in a cool, dark place where the squirrels can't get at them.

Cindy, we do have squirrels, in fact 2 of them were yelling at me while I was harvesting the butternuts. But we have 28 black walnut trees, a couple of hickories, and the butternut tree, so there are plenty of other trees for them to raid.