Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
living at 6800 feet
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank Heavens for HT. I have gotten the answers to so many things. I need your help with this one.

My Butternut Squash is going good, putting on about 5-6 fruit right now. However at the base of the plant the leaves are starting to yellow. Some of the leaves have just droped off all together. I looked under the leaves today and I see mold lumps on the soil and I saw some mold on a blossom that had dropped. Or what looks like mold--gray, fuzzy, mound. I picked a yellow straight neck this morning (yes they are side by side-I can't get my dh to think crop distribution to prevent problems-he planted them) and on the flower end the remaining flower part had fuzzy gray stuff.

This is my first year with Butternut and I really really would like to have some!

We have HIGH HUMIDITY right now and we have been blessed with rain after a spring drought. I searched out powdery mildew on google, but that dosen't seam to be it. I've searched for other problems and I can't come up with this exact one on the vast www. Nothing like YOUR experiance.

What can I do. Thanks for your responses in advanced. HT folks are the best.

:walk:
--------------------------------------------------
Today at Poplar Hill:
Finishing canning green beans
Canning Pickles and Tomatoes
Fretting about everything in the garden
Having big salad for lunch and tacos for dinner
Doing laundry
Hosting dd10's friend for a play date
Trying to pick up laundry room

·
WV , hilltop dweller
3,610 Posts
some dying of earlier leaves is normal..look under the leaves and under the stems where they touch the ground for squash bugs..one indication of them is to see "crispy" leaf margins on leaves that touch the ground..insecticides don't help with the mature bugs..pick and squah them..(unfortunately you will find out why they are known as STINK bugs!)

·
living at 6800 feet
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well my yellow squash has bugs-yellow fuzzy bugs. I'm picking and squashing them. My hubbard squash seams to just have natural dying back of the first leaves and the plant is taking root all over so that gives me hope. If some of the main part of the plant dies the rest of the roots should help it out. I'm getting more and more little hubbards every day. I've got 4 good size hubbards right now. I just put newspaper under them so I can see where they are (some are in the grass) and to keep them off the soil.

:walk:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts