Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled up at school yesterday about 11am-ish....the tree I parked beside had a swarm of butterflies or moths fly away from it....I thought it was a fluke that so many were by the tree

Today when I again parked by this tree I realizes that the insects were actually "roosting" on the tree....after school I got to my car and there was an area on the tree about the size of a salad plate that looked like a clump of brown/gray leaves.....as I walked closeby, the 'leaves' all flew away....

they are about 2 inches across and orange on the tops of the wings and a grayish brown on the underside.....

I will get a picture tomorrow...any ideas???

Rachel

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
For future reference, butterfly antenna look like an upside down explanation point. Moth antenna look like a feather.

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
Also, when butterflies alight they fold their wings up vertically, whereas moths rest with their wings spread out horizontaly.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really thought it was a butterfly....

sorry I havent checked back in....this first week of school has me feeling like I have been hit with a mack truck

the butterflies have antenna that have a 'bulb' on the end....they rest with their wings folded together....

I DID get pictures mostly with the wings folded but as I snapped one of the resting ones, it opened its wings and I got a full picture of the open wings....

I will try to post the pictures after school today!

after looking at the link given by JEN74145...I think they are painted lady butterflies

every day I am amazed by them!

Rachel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.