Buttercups

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by RogueAPBT, Jan 12, 2007.

1. RogueAPBT

RogueAPBT Member

I have a patch of ground that I'd like to reclaim and grow some pasture. My problem is, it's pretty much solid with buttercups every year, which are apparently bad, evil, poisonous plants, though deceptively bright and cheery. Anybody have experience with killing off these plants? (preferably with the least amount of backbreaking labor, my back is old, and I don't have a rototiller) I was thinking just pull up the dead vines, mulch and cover with black plastic through the summer...overkill? Not enough? Prefer not to spray with weed killer.

Cheryl in WA state

2. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

I'd rather not use chemicals either, but it was the only way I found to get rid of a stubborn patch of them without going into traction. Crossbow works really well and breaks down quickly. If it is on a slope or has runoff problems dig a shallow ditch around the patch to keep the chemicals from traveling. I tried the digging, pulling and covering with plastic. Got buttercups with REALLY long runners coming out from under the plastic.
    Good luck.

3. Liese

Liese Namaste

I read the same things but with further research I found that in Europe cows are brought to buttecup-maybe it's a different variety or plant. But I rotated my sheep on it without a problem. Now at first, I just let them graze for 10 min. or so and increaseed the time since it is lush. Had no ill affects at all. They ate it down, I moved them to another area and that gave the grasses a chance to fill in. Get the sheep on it early as possible. Liese

4. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know for sure if it's true, but I heard that the problem with buttercups and sheep is that it can cause them to abort.

5. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm sorry I'm not familiar with buttercups, but some plants are toxic at certain stages. For instance, only in the spring, or only at the end of the growth season, or only the flowers. Do some more research. You may be able to graze the buttercups if you are careful.

6. RogueAPBT

RogueAPBT Member

Looks like some more research is in order. It would be great if I could just put some critters on there to graze them down and/or turn the ground so I could plant something else. Thanks for the heads-up on the black plastic not working... back to the drawing board. :baby04:

7. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

Fresh buttercups are toxic at all stages of growth but are okay when dried and dead like if some make it into your hay.