Butter?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by ameliasmom, May 13, 2005.

1. ameliasmom

ameliasmom New Member

I just read a really interesting article about making butter. It continually refered to cow's milk. I've been milking Petunia (Saanen cross) for about two months (we're both first-timers). We have more milk than we need and I've tried my hand at soap, ice cream, yoghurt and cheese. So, I'm wondering if its feasible to make butter. I understand the fat globules are smaller in goat's milk compared to cow's so the milk stays naturally homogenized. Will this prevent butter from forming when agitated? Has anyone tried this with success?
    Thanks in advance
    Tracy

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I've done it but was disappointed.

If you have an (expensive) cream separator its probably much easier. I was just skimming cream from Nubian milk. Better to make cheese IMHO

3. tatanka

tatanka Well-Known Member

I bought an old McCormick-Deering cream separator last year at an auction for $90. It works great. You can get a smaller tabletop version but it cost a lot more. Or you can let the milk set for a day and then skim off the cream from the top. If you do this then it is best to put the milk into something that will allow you access with a spoon. When we seperate the cream we heat the milk to 90 degrees first to get the maximum amount.
    Once the cream is separated and chilled again, then we put it into a clean gallon jar and shake it or agitate it until the butter is formed. We then pour it into a colander and let it drain. You have to work all the buttermilk out of the butter to get the best flavor. We add salt and work it together then refrigerate it. YUM!
    I know millions of women have done it for hundreds of years and didn't have any trouble with it but it is truly one of those things that you have to trial and error learn a little with. Unless you know an ole timer that can show you. Our first time or two I didn't quite get all the extra buttermilk out so it soured a little after a day or two in the frig. Good luck!

Marla

4. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I have a cream seperator, I make butter all the time, we love it. and it is wonderful.