Butter Dish with Water

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jucal, Dec 1, 2003.

1. jucal

jucal Well-Known Member

I know that I have seen the butter dish that you add clean cool water to each day so that you can keep the butter out of fridge safely. I can not find it now and was wondering if anyone knows where I can find them. It was in a catalog but can't remember which one. Seems like someone on this site had given it before. Has anyone used this type of butter dish and can you give me any info on weather it really works or not. I am just now making sweet cream butter from my jersey cow and would like to be able to keep it soft and easy to spread. If anyone could help I would sure appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Judy

2. j.r. guerra in s. tx.

j.r. guerra in s. tx. Well-Known Member

I'm not sure this will help, but a way to keep butter or anything else cool is to place the package in a small clay flower pot which is surrounded by moist sand, which is in another clay pot. Not quite a refrigerator, but it will keep the butter coolish. Keep a moist dishrag over this, and keep in shade, preferably in a cool breeze. The secret is to keep adding water and make sure the sand remain moist.

If you can't find the product you are looking for, you might try this - I hope this helps.

3. Fourthistles

Fourthistles Well-Known Member

Try the Lehmans catalog. I'm pretty sure I saw it in there.

4. RAC

RAC Guest

They are called "butter bells". I bought mine for just s/h with proofs of purchase from Challenge Dairy a few years back around this time of year. Works great. They say to change the water every three days but I have found that it really depends on the weather--easy to go a week without changing if you have a cold kitchen. Only thing I don't like about mine is that since it is ceramic, you can't see how much butter is left--I would much prefer the entire thing to be made of glass.

You probably could also use any round sugar bowl with a lid large enough to hold a stick of butter and put it (right side up) in a bigger bowl with just enough water to cool it, not make the butter bowl float :)

5. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

We have been keeping butter out of the fridge for 48 or more years and have never had any problem with it. My husband likes butter and I like butter blended in the food processor with equal parts mild olive oil and l/4 cup powdered milk and it is always ready to spread right out of the fridge and the olive oil (or regular oil) makes it healthier. Also salt to taste for the blended butter.

6. Sherri C

Sherri C Plays with yarn

7. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

The King Arthur Flour site sells several styles of butter bells.

8. terragirl

terragirl Member

9. Marchwind

Marchwind Fiber Arts forum Mod. Supporter

Southwest Michigan by way of the Northwoods of MN
    I bought mine from Vermont Country Store. Love it! I have had various ones over the years and wouldn't think of not having one. If you know someone who works in pottery they could make you one too.

10. jucal

jucal Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the great info. I ordered one from the Vermont Country Store today. That was the best price I could find from all of your suggestions. Can't wait to get it and use it.
    Thanks again,
    Judy