Butter Churner

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by momofeight, Nov 24, 2004.

1. momofeight

momofeight Active Member

Any one have a simple way to make a butter churner like the old glass Dazey churns? It kind of looks like an egg beater in a jar? I need REALLY SIMPLE instructions..please!

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

We made one with a mayonaise jar and some tinkertoys with our children. use a "wheel" and dowel for the dash and cut a whole in the mayo lid just larger than the dowel and DASH AWAY!

Also in a quart or larger glass jar passed around to shake with the children.

3. momofeight

momofeight Active Member

I saw this on a website and thought it looked a little hokey...did it work? How much shaking does it take to make enough butter for dinner? I was thinking of doing this daily (Build up my arms, LOL)

4. mpillow

I usually did the shake method...less messy than the dash but it did work. In Colonial times cream was tied to a beam and swung in a bag...walk by give it a push....With cream at 60 degrees and a teaspoon of yogurt to about a pint and a half of cream shake for 30-60 minutes....older cream sets up faster than fresh because of acidity? I think. My kiddos enjoy the butter milk leftover too!
    Keep butter in the fridge because it tends to sour more quickly than store stuff.

5. silosounds

silosounds Well-Known Member

if you can find an hand crank egg beater that can be takin apart, you can mount one on a lid of a jar. we made one by taking the egg beater apart we had to bend some if the metal parts to get it appart. then we drilled two holes in a lid
    and assembled the egg beater so the beaters were on the other side of the lid.
    the hardest part was finding a jar the right size so the beaters were low enough to be affective.we finally found one at a store called dollar genral in our area ,they had reproduction coffee jars that cost a dollar we found the egg beater at a antique store. it seems the old ones come apart real easy . it took a little time to find the parts to work together but it seems that the way it goes on our homestead.

6. momofeight

momofeight Active Member

I WAS wondering about an egg beater! I'm going to try both and see which was better...I think I know where I can find an egg beater. I think I'll try the shake method to occupy my kids while they are home this holiday weekend. LOL!

7. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

This thread got me thinking. Do you think a 10# plastic sour cream container, with a small hole in the lid to put the batter beater of a kitchen aid mixer thru, would work? Running the mixer on low speed of course. The container would hold about 3 qts. (Like a small bucket)
    Rog

8. silosounds

silosounds Well-Known Member

sure would as long as the betters reach the bottom.

9. mpillow

Some people use an electric blender. There are also electric mixers that fit on top of a pot....use a glass or ceramic or plastic bowl instead of metal pot. If you live on a bumpy road a sealed container and 1/2hr drive...

I even read someone in Canada use tha agitator sycle on a washing machine...

10. momofeight

momofeight Active Member

LOL! So what everyone is saying is what you need is cream and agitation? I know in Tibet they put the cream in bags on horseback, and by the time they get to where they are going, it's butter. Can't get much simpler than that.