Butter...can it happen?????

Discussion in 'Goats' started by BubbleTea, May 16, 2005.

1. BubbleTea

BubbleTea Active Member

Hello!!!
    I read somwhere on the internet that you can make goat butter by adding vinegar and letting it sit for a time.....I don't remember how I found this site....do any of you know anything about making butter this way....are there any other ways to get the cream, other than waiting days and days for the cream to rise or buying a separator???????

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

vinegar will separate curds and whey and leave you with cheese, not butter.

3. Raftercat5

Raftercat5 Kathy in S. Carolina

Not speaking from experience, as I'm still raising our first goats in anticipation of milking next spring, making butter, cheese, and drinking a bit of it too, but I was told by the guy at Hoegger's that to use the separator that I bought, I should collect milk daily for about 3 days, refrigerate it, then skim the cream off the top to make butter. Does anyone else have a separator here? I'll probably need more advice on it.
    - Kathy

4. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

I had one when I had all the milkgoats, and yes for me it was WELL worth the money! Granted, I had 77 milking goats, so there was a fair share of milk each day ran through it. But the cream was fresher and we could freeze it till we had enough for a decent sized batch of butter... but it was SO fresh! mmmmmm! :D

Kaza

5. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

I don't have any experience with goats, but recall reading a little tidbit in TMEN years ago (before they went all yuppie on us) that the reason the goats' milk doesn't allow the cream to rise is because it's missing an enzyme that is in cows' milk, and they claimed the way around this was to add a tablespoon or so of cows' milk to the goats' milk you want to separate the cream from -- apparently this adds the enzyme - the cream rises - you scoop it off and make butter. I think if you had less than say a gallon of goats' milk, you would add less than a tablespoon of cows' milk - if you had several gallons, you would add several tablespoons.

I've made butter with cows' milk, but not goats' . . . yet. Actually, I used to siphon the milk out of the jug and then dump the cream in the blender to make butter. I think one of those glass "ice tea jugs" with the spigot on the bottom would be great for separating the milk! When the cream rises, just draw the milk off the bottom until there's only the cream left.

I've never had the goats' milk to try adding the cows' milk to it to see if the cream would rise, so if it works I hope you post and let everyone know. Why not try it with just a quart of goats' milk and add a teaspoon or two of cows' milk to see what happens. Good luck!

MaryNY

6. kdcopley

kdcopley New Member

I Called My Grandmother Whom Is 89 And She Told My Just How To Make Butter.
    First I Took Freash Goats Milk And Put It Into A Large Bowl In The Ice Box. Then The Next Day I Took A Big Spoon And Took All Of The Cream Off The Top. Now She Said If You Get Alittle Milk In There Dont Worry. Then I Still The Next Day Did That Agian To The Same Milk. After That I Put That Milk I Had Gotten Cream Off Of And Put It Into Another Bottle. Do This Till You Get A Pint Or More Of Cream.
    Then I Poured It Into A Elec. Churn And I Had Butter In 30 Min.
    If You Need Anything Else Let Me Know.
    I Do Need To Know How To Make Cottage Cheese.
    Delinda

7. BubbleTea

BubbleTea Active Member

Skimming the cream off the top would take FOREVER!!!!
    I think I might need to invest in a cream seperator.....first I'll try adding a little cows milk to the goat milk to see if it helps to seperate. I'll let you know how it goes.