Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
He should taste just fine unless he was in a lot of stress right bf butchering....like seriously hurt or chased or something.
That's how they do it in most or all of Europe...its rare to see a steer there!

·
Registered
507 Posts
That's about the age the FIL slaughters his, their always entire, it tastes very nice :) (and in Europe here, yes it is normal) He uses good stock and the best sperm (He's the local AI man) so doesn't want to castrate what could turn into a nice piece of cash!

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,915 Posts
You will probably have to pay more for the processing. 30 months is the cutoff, there are some special procedures that have to be done after that age due to BSE. But the meat should still be good eating. A lot of the beef you buy at the store is from old cows and bulls.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You will probably have to pay more for the processing. 30 months is the cutoff, there are some special procedures that have to be done after that age due to BSE. But the meat should still be good eating. A lot of the beef you buy at the store is from old cows and bulls.
i think it must matter where in the country you are located. i have taken everything from 1 to about 5 years old to a usda certified facility. they have never even asked the age or charged more for the animals that were definitely over the 30 month mark. nor did they ask age when i called for a slaughter date

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts
What special things need to be done mow cow
Check any meds or dewormers you are using (or have recently used) on the bull and make sure you're in compliance with the withholding times on them. It varies from drug to drug; I think most pour-on dewormers are 45 days.

Other people might have other things to contribute to this.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just did a 2 and half year old bull. I did tenderloins, and cube steaks and the rest went to 10/90 hamburger. He is lean but fine. a freezer full of meat for sure his weight was 1505 live and 555 in the box. The 30 month thing is there can not be any spinal column in the cuts so that changes slightly how they cut it up but not the price per pound at least in my neck of the woods:D

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
I find bulls very lean most of the time. I have some ground meat in the freezer from the one last winter and it is ruby red. Almost no fat in it at all. Great eating.

·
DAV,USN MM1/SS
468 Posts
Anything over 30 mo. the processor has to be certified for it. The backbone is removed and anything left by the client is to be burned on site.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts