Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're butchering a yearling wether this Friday and was just curious about the "hang time" for aging. I've never butchered a goat before, but will assume it is the same as a steer or deer, which I have plenty of experience with.

Another issue I'd like resolved is feeding. I've heard most folks say they do not grain, but have also heard a few that mention they want to put a little fat on the meat so they grain for sixty days prior to processing. Which is correct, or more importantly, method do you prefer for getting meat for the grill?

Thanks
Wing

·
Katie
19,970 Posts
The goats we have had butchered before have always had some grain so I've never had any that didn't. As far as the aging time there doesn't need to be. Beef is the only meat that needs to be hung & aged to be tender. Every other meat including venison can be butchered, sliced & froze right away & be just as tender.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
We are doing a 6 mth old wether tomorrow. Hubby wants to let it hang over night to make sure it is well bled. Cut and wrapped Thurs. i have been feeding grain all along so can't help you on that one.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
I never hang goat. Straight into the freezer it goes. Yum.
Grain is not needed to put fat on a goat. I have never butchered any goat and found 0 fat on it, grain fed and browse/hay fed alike. All had some fat.
Goat is a lean meat and fat is mostly found around the internal organs, not on the meat. There is no marbling with goat meat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts