Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
no way would i ever send meat out to be butchered. in addition to the concerns u raise, it also costs. in my area that would eliminate any savings after all the work and risk of growing ur own.

i butchered a beef once. no big deal. just a bit of hard work. and it came out fine. incidentally if a person uses those usda charts for cutting the carcass into sections, the cutting is pretty much self-expalanatory from there. ie, u will recognize familiar cuts (or at least shapes!) and be able to take it from there.

·
Registered
119 Posts
as for aging we made the weather work for us. u couldn't do this in all climates of course. used a come-along to hang the carcass in a garage that had no windows. this was december in albuquerque. it gets below freezing there every nite at that time of year but into the 40s or 50s most days. the meat never froze but was as if in a refrigerator. got the last quarter of the carcass out at the end of three weeks. no problem. the weather could conceivably give u a problem, of course.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.