butchering weather

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by GeorgeK, Nov 7, 2004.

1. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

its butchering weather. Yesterday my brother from the city was visiting and he wanted to see what it involves. I asked him to go get a sharpener, while I was skinning. To me its second nature to remove your shoes before going inside, especially on butchering day. Needless to say, there were bloody foot tracks all through the house.

Made the sausage today. Having the meat semi-frozen really does make it grind better

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I'm still working on timing the process before we have guests but foregoing any freezer time :rolleyes: We have a cabrito for Thanksgiving when my partner's family will be here. I was just told today that it can't be butchered while they're here or they won't eat :confused: Having spent half of my life as a vegetarian, I never thought I would find the carnivorously confused.
    Thanks for the sausage tip. We have a manual grinder (my great idea) and I would like an electric one now :)

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

I have an attachment for a freestand mixer that works well, but if I was butchering more than a potbelly, I think the volume of meat would wear out the grinder. If you have a lot of free labor, a hand grinder is fine, but for me doing it by myself for the most part, an electric made a big difference

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Ironically, I do most of it myself also. Electric is wonderful :)