butchering room or building

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by farmerjack68, Dec 9, 2006.

1. farmerjack68

farmerjack68 Well-Known Member

hello
    just wanted some ideas on what you would want or need if you were building a butchering "area" from scratch ?
    im thinking block building cement floor with a slight slope to make it easer to wash out with a gutter system and a grate electric wench to hoist hogs and cattle deer ect.
    any thoughs or ideas ?

2. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Hey Jack
    You going to be doing this for your own use or will you be selling the meat or processing for other folks for a fee? If either of the last two options, it'll make a difference in design, materials and costs. For instance, the concrete floors would need to be sealed with [I can't remember the name of the stuff] a special type of sealer, and you would want to use stainless steel for counters instead of say laminate.

Short list:
    at least 2 large sinks
    lots of table/counter space
    band saw (specifically for meat)
    shrink wrap system
    HD industrial quality grinder
    walk in cooler
    walk in freezer
    overhead track system to move the carcass from cooler to butcher area

3. farmerjack68

farmerjack68 Well-Known Member

hi bill
    thanks for the input and it will be for personal use and for friends and family the overhead track system is a great idea, i thought about an outside slab with a tripod for skinning and gutting but with the track system i could run it out through a door so i could just slide it inside i would need to figure out a cool room for chilling , a guy i knew his uncle had a cool room in his basement he had the walls insulated with about a foot of fiberglass and osb on both sides with 2 window air conditioners i just dont rember how cold it got but i thought he used it for deer
    as far as the grinder i have grinder i bought it when i did my first 2 hogs it says its rated for 600 lbs an hr i had to add the moter i took the moter off my air compressor i think is about 3/4hp it did a great job we ground about 80 to 100 lbs of sausage in no time i would have to save up for a band saw ,i used my sawzawon the hogs it worked good better than i thougt it would
    i well have to look into the sealer or if ya remember the name please let me know .
    thanks again
    farmer jack
    ps if ya can think of anything else please let me know

4. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

A simple cheap butchering room can be made from a refrigerated truck body. It's sealed,self contained ,insulated and has it's own refrigeration unit that usually can run on either plug in electricity or diesel/propane. Old dairy trucks are ideal and they have a secure lock system already on them.

5. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Actually, this is very true, and has the added benefit of being portable. You have to be really creative about setting up an efficient space, but they can be plumbed so you just hook up a garden hose and you've got running water, a 5-10 gal hot water heater and you also have hot water. I'm actually considering building one set up to do chickens and renting it out to folks and/or providing an on-site processing service.

6. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I think your initial ideas are great. The most important thing is that the area is easy to wash and has a drain. Preferably a place you can take a pressure washer and blast the equipment. The other thing I would add is high ceilings. Some carcasses are quite long when hung, and after you add hooks and rails you need plenty of hanging space.